Civil Services Exam 2020
Civil Services Exam 2020: UPSC conducts Civil Service Exam to recruit the eligible candidates for Indian Administrative Services (IAS), IFS (Indian Foreign Services), IPS (Indian Police Services) & IRS (Indian Revenue Services). The examination completes in three phases: Preliminary Exam, Main Exam, and Interviews. The exam is conducted throughout the country. There are three phases of this examination: Preliminary Exam, Main Exam, and Interview. Candidates can get detailed information about UPSC Civil Services Exam 2020.
Civil Services Exam 2020 Schedule
|Notification Announced||12th February 2020|
|Availability of Application form||12th February 2020|
|Last date to submit Online Application Form||3rd March 2020|
|Prelims Admit Card||2nd week of May 2020|
|Preliminary Exam Date||31st May 2020|
|Prelims exam result||August 2020|
|Main Exam Admit Card||September 2020|
|Main Exam Date||18th September 2020|
|Declaration of Final Result||January 2021|
- Candidate should be an Indian national or
- A national of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Malawi, Ethiopia, Myanmar, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zaire & Vietnam to become a permanent resident of India.
Note:- For the post of IPS and IAS, the applicant must be a citizen of India. For other posts, the applicant can also have citizenship as the above-mentioned criteria.
- Candidate must have a degree from any Central, State or Deemed University or a qualification that is recognized by the Government of India.
- Applicant having a degree from an overseas university recognized by the Association of Indian Universities is also eligible to appear for the exam.
- Appeared candidates can also apply.
- Candidates who had appeared in the final year of their degree course are eligible for the examination.
- Individuals who have passed the final exam of ICWAI/ ICSI/ ICAI are eligible for this exam.
- Individuals who have passed the final year of MBBS degree (without completing the internship) are also eligible for this exam.
Number of Attempts
- The government has made a restriction on the number in which an applicant may apply for this examination.
- The general category applicant could only appear for this exam a total of six times.
- The OBC category applicants can appear for this exam a total of nine times.
- The SC/ST category candidates have the benefit of appearing unlimited times to sit for this examination till he or she attains an age of thirty-seven years.
Age limit and Number of Limits
|Category||Upper age limit||No. of attempts|
|General||32 Years||06 Attempts|
|OBC||35 Years||09 Attempts|
|SC/ST||37 Years||No bar|
|PH (Blind, Deaf, Orthopedic)||42 Years||GEN/OBC= 9 attempts/ST= No bar|
|J & K Domicile||GEN=37 Yrs, OBC= 40 Yrs, SC/ST=40 Yrs, PH=50 Yrs||No bar|
|Disabled servicemen, disabled from duty.||GEN=37 Yrs, OBC=40 Yrs, SC/ST=40 Yrs.||No bar|
- The application fee for General/Others is Rs.100/-
- Candidates can pay the application fee through Credit/Debit card/Internet banking or cash in SBI Bank.
- While the SC/ST/PH Candidates are no need to pay the application fee.
- The following stages will be considered for final selection.
- Stage-1: Preliminary Exam (Objective type questions -100 Marks)
- Stage-2: Main Exam (Descriptive Type)
- Stage-3: Personal Interview (275 Marks)
- Only main exam & Interview marks will be considered for final selection list.
For Preliminary Exam
- The exam will be conducted in offline mode in duration.
- The exam consisted of 3 papers and two compulsory papers with each paper of 200 Marks.
- Each question will be 1/3 Mark penalty for wrong answer choices.
|Papers||Details of the question papers||Total Marks||Total Time|
|I||General Studies – This paper will be counted for qualifying to write the Civil Services Mains exam.||200||2 hrs|
|II||Aptitude test (CSAT) – This paper is of qualifying nature, but the candidate must score at least 33% marks in this paper. However, marks of this paper are not counted for writing the Mains examination.||200||2 hrs|
For Main Exam
- The Mains exam will be conducted in Descriptive test mode.
- It consists of 9 different papers and paper-1 & paper-2 are necessary for all.
- Remaining will be optional subjects.
|A||Regional Language (Qualifying)||300|
|B||English Language (Qualifying)||300|
|2||General Studies – 1||250|
|3||General Studies – 2||250|
|4||General Studies – 3||250|
|5||General studies – 4||250|
|6||Optional Paper – 1||250|
|7||Optional Paper – 2||250|
|Written test Total||1750|
- After the examination and interview, the cutoff marks for Civil/IAS exams for will be declared by UPSC.
- On the basis of cutoff marks by UPSC, candidates will be shortlisted depending upon the number of vacancies in a particular field.
Groups and Services
All India Services
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS).
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
- Indian Police Service (IPS).
Central Services (Group A)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS).
- Indian Information Service (IIS).
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS).
- Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS).
- Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES).
- Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS).
- Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS).
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-IT).
- Indian Postal Service (IPS).
- Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS).
- Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS).
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-C&CE).
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS).
- Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS).
- Indian Trade Service (ITS).
- Railway Protection Force (RPF).
Group B Services
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service (DANIPS).
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service (DANICS).
- Pondicherry Civil Service.
- Pondicherry Police Service.
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (AFHCS).
Civil Services Exam 2020 Admit Card
The admit card will be available on the official website of UPSC. Candidates can download the admit card in the pdf format. There will separate admit cards for all the candidates. After downloading the admit card, candidates can take the printout of the same. It will be mandatory for all the candidates to take the admit card with them at the exam center to be eligible to enter the exam hall.
Check here the UPSC official website: https://upsc.gov.in/