Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test
What is the IIT JAM?
Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM) is conducted every year in Feb for admissions in various Postgraduate programmes like M.sc, integrated M.sc+P.hd in IIT’s and Indian Institute of science (ISC), Bangalore. IIT Kharagpur is conducting IIT JAM 2019 on 10th Feb 2019. It will be an online examination (computer based paper). The eligibility criteria for writing IIT JAM is a candidate should be a graduate in any stream with 55% marks in aggregate for students belonging to General Category and there is the relaxation of 5% i.e 50% marks in aggregate for SC/ST/OBC candidates. Candidates with foreign nationality can also apply to this exam. Final year students can also apply for IIT JAM (Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test 2018) provided they submit the required documents at the time of admission and there is no upper age limit for applying to this exam.
IIT JAM Online Registration will begin from September 1, 2018, on the official website of IIT JAM i.e. jam.iitkgp.ac.in. Last Date for completing the Online Application and Uploading of Documents on the Website is October 10, 2018. Last Date for Payment of Application Fee through the Online process. The fee will be non-refundable.
Candidates would be appearing for IIT JAM exam on Feb 10, 2019. The exam pattern details include examination type, duration of exam, no. of questions, mode of exam etc. JAM 2018 will be a Computer Based Test conducted in an online mode. There are 3 sections in the exam consist of total 60 questions carrying 100 marks. The duration of the exam is 3 hours. There will be no negative marking in Section B and Section C.
IIT JAM Admit card will be available from January 4, 2019, and can be downloaded from the official website. It is mandatory for a candidate to bring the admit card, without admit card candidates will not be allowed to sit in the examination. The admit card contains the details of the student’s name, Photograph, registration, Signature of the candidate, Code of Test Pater and complete details of Exam Center. It is suggested to all the aspirants to check all the details printed on admit card carefully after downloading it.
There are seven papers of IIT JAM comprised of Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics. The Syllabus for IIT JAM 2019 has been released by the conducting body. Students can prepare for these subject in advance for the exam.
IIT JAM 2019 Important Dates
|Registration Starts on||04-Sep-2019|
|Registration Ends on||09-Oct-2019|
|Exam Starts on||09-Feb-2020|
IIT JAM 2019 Eligibility
IIT Kharagpur has recently released the eligibility criteria of IIT JAM exam, given below is the eligibility criteria of IIT JAM:
- Bachelor’s degree in any stream- Candidates appearing for IIT JAM exam must hold a bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- At least 55% aggregate marks and 5% relaxation for SC/ST/OBC students- The minimum percentage required for the exam is 55% for general category although there is a relaxation of 5% for SC/ST/PWD candidates, they need to have at least 50% marks in graduation.
- Foreign National and Indian national both are eligible to apply- All the candidate’s whether a foreign nationality or Indian nationality can apply for this exam.
- No restriction in the upper age limit for JAM- There is no age limit for JAM exam, as per the rules stated by conducting body, there is no restriction in the upper age limit for IIT JAM exam.
- Final year students can also apply- All the students who are currently in final year of graduation can also apply for this exam provided they submit the proof of passing with the required documents before the counseling process starts.
There are two modes of paying the application fees:
- Online – The application fee can be paid via net banking, debit/credit card. The application fee is non-refundable.
- Offline(E-challan) mode via SBI.
The application fee for different categories is mentioned below:
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|SC/ST/PwD & Female (all categories)||Rs.750/-||Rs.1050/-|
IIT JAM 2019 Admit Card
IIT JAM Admit Card will be available online on January 4, 2019.
The admit card details contain the following particulars of the students:
- Name of the Candidate
- Candidate’s Photograph
- The Registration Number of the candidate
- Signature of the candidate
- Code of Test Pater
- Details of Exam Center
Admit card can be downloaded from the official website. It is mandatory for a candidate to bring the admit card, without admit card candidates will not be allowed to sit in the examination.
IIT JAM 2019 Preparation Tips
IIT JAM 2019 will be conducted by IIT Kharagpur on Feb 10, 2019. There are various books available for preparing for IIT JAM. Students can also solve test papers. There are many online mock papers available online.
Check out some steps to prepare for JAM 2019:
- Check IIT JAM Syllabus & Exam pattern
- Go through the marking scheme and negative marking
- Diligent study
- Prioritize syllabus and study accordingly
- Solve mock test paper & previous papers.
- Check reference books carefully.
- Sleep for at least 6-7 hours
IIT JAM 2019 Exam Pattern
Candidates would be appearing for IIT JAM exam pattern on February 10, 2019. Candidates with the help of exam pattern can prepare well for IIT JAM exam. The exam pattern details include examination type, duration of exam, number of questions, mode of exam etc.
- IIT JAM exam is objective type online exam, comprised of 3 sections consisting a total of 60 questions carrying 100 marks.
- The duration of the exam is 3hrs (180 minutes).
- There will be no negative marking in Section B and Section C.
Complete details for JAM Exam Pattern:
IIT JAM 2019 Syllabus
IIT JAM 2019 syllabus has been released by the conducting body. There are seven papers of JAM i.e:
- Biological Sciences
- Mathematical Statistics
IIT JAM 2019 Result
An All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned to all the appeared candidates based on the performance of the candidates in the test paper. In case of Tie break following criteria will be taken into account.
- The tie-breaking criterion for awarding the ranks to candidates scoring the same aggregate marks in a test paper will be as follows:
- The candidate with a higher ratio of positive marks to negative marks will be given a higher rank.
- If this criterion fails to break ties, the candidates concerned will be awarded the same rank.
- Merit List will be declared on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.
- The results will be available on the website: http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in
IIT JAM 2019 Counseling Details
IIT JAM counseling will be organized once the result for the exam is announced. A candidate who falls in the category of merit list will be only applicable to participate in the counseling session of IIT JAM 2019. The counseling is likely to be conducted from the second or third week of April 2019.
IIT JAM 2019 Selection Procedure
The candidates are advised to read JAM eligibility criteria carefully before filling JAM 2019 application form. The candidature of the candidates will get cancelled if they don’t fulfill the eligibility criteria.
Online submission of the application form has already started from September 1, 2018, the last date of the application form submission is October 10, 2019, no application will be accepted beyond this date. The exam will be taking place on February 10, 2019, across various cities.
Document Required for filling the Application form:
- Scanned image of the photograph in pdf format
- Scanned image of the signature in pdf format
- Valid Photo Identity Card in pdf format
- Degree Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/ Course Completion Certificate in pdf format
- Copy of the marks-sheet of the fifth or sixth or seventh semester as the case may be in pdf format
- Provisional Certificate Letter as per format issued by the Head of Institute/ Dean/ Registrar/ Head of Department in pdf format
- Caste Certificate in pdf format (if applicable)
- Disability or PwD Certificate in pdf format (if applicable)