KARNATAKA COMMON ENTRANCE TEST
KCET 2020 Application Form, Dates, Eligibility, Pattern, Syllabus and Result
KCET is a state-level exam, managed by Karnataka Examinations Authority (KEA). It is an offline exam, held for admission to Engineering, AYUSH, Farm Science, B.Pharm courses. KCET 2020 exam will be conducted on April 29, 30 and May 5, 2020 (Tentative).
- KCET 2020 Application Form is available at kea.kar.nic.in.
- Karnataka CET Question paper will be based on the First and Second PUC (Pre-university course) syllabi. Check KCET Syllabus
- Candidates will be given 80 minutes to solve each paper. Check KCET Exam Pattern
- The applying candidate shall be a citizen of India.
- KCET Result will release in online mode on May 25, 2020 (Tentative). Check KCET Result
- Based on the scores secured in KCET, the candidates will be allotted seats into the institutes. Check KCET Cut off
KEA will conduct KCET Agriculture Practical Test on May 18, 2020 (Tentative) for those candidates who are seeking admission under Agriculturist Quota in Farm Universities. The test on “Identification of Agriculture Related Specimens” is held to claim seat under the quota. The minimum qualifying marks are 50%.
Official Schedule for KCET 2020
Here, we are providing the Tentative dates for KCET 2020 according to the previous year official dates.
|KCET 2020 Registration Date||February 1, 2020|
|Last date of registration||March 20, 2020|
|Last date to pay the application fees||March 21, 2020|
|Availability of KCET Admit Card 2020||April 16, 2020|
KCET 2020 Exam Date
| April 29, 2020 (Biology & Mathematics)|
April 30, 2020 (Physics & Chemistry)
May 5, 2020 (Kannada Language)
May 18, 2020 (Practical Examination for Agriculturist)
|KCET 2020 Result Declaration||May 25, 2020|
|KCET Counselling||June 6, 2020|
KCET 2020 Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)|
|Conducting Body||Karnataka Examinations Authority (KEA)|
|KCET Official Website||kea.kar.nic.in|
|Exam Type||State Level Entrance Exam|
|Exam Category||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Total Exam Centers||54|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|KEA Helpline||080 – 23 460 460|
Eligibility Criteria for KCET 2020
KCET eligibility criteria vary course-wise. The basic eligibility for admission to various courses is mentioned below.
For Engineering Courses:
- Qualifying Exam: Candidates have to qualify the 2nd PUC/10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognized board.
- Subject: Candidates must pass their examination with Mathematics & Physics as a main subject & English as a language subject.
- Minimum Marks: It is compulsory to score at least 45% marks (40% marks in SC/ST category) in physics and mathematics along with one of the subjects, i.e. Biotechnology/Biology/Electronics/Chemistry/Computer science.
For B.Pharma Course:
- Qualifying Exam: Candidates have to pass their 2nd PUC/10+2 or equivalent with PCB/PCM and English as a language subject.
- Minimum Marks: Candidates have to secure minimum 50% marks (40% in case of SC/ST Category) in PCB group.
Online Application Form for KCET 2020
- The online application form for KCET 2020 will be available between February 1 – March 20, 2020 (Tentative). More than 1.7 lakh candidates are expected to have registered for KCET 2020.
- Candidates registered by visiting the official website of KCET i.e. kea.kar.nic.in.
- Candidates have to enter their personal details, so as to generate an Application Number and Password.
- After that, they have to upload a scanned copy of recent passport size Colour Photograph, Signature and Left Hand Thumb Impression in JPG/JPEG format separately.
- The next step is to pay the application fee either by challan or net banking.
- The last step is to take a printout of KCET Application Form.
KCET Application Fee:
- Candidates can make payment only through offline mode (through the specified bank Challan).
- The application fee is INR 650 for General & OBC category candidates.
- Candidates, those belong to SC/ST category has to pay INR 500 as an application fee.
INR 750 in case of candidates residing outside the state of Karnataka and INR 5,000 in case of candidates residing outside India.
Payment by Challan: The bank will retain bank copy of the Challan with them and handover the remaining two copies of the Challan to the candidates.
The candidates who are residing outside India shall pay the fees in the form of Demand Draft drawn in favour of Executive Director, Karnataka Examinations Authority, payable at Bangalore, the demand draft should be sent to KEA address by mentioning the application number.
Practical Test Fees for admission under Agriculture Quota: INR 500/‐ for General and OBC (INR 250/‐ for SC, ST and Category ‐1), this fee amount will be paid at the respective Practical Test Centre on the day of verification of documents in the form of Demand Draft drawn in favour of Comptroller of the respective University.
KCET 2020 Admit Card
- KCET 2020 Admit Card will be available from April 16, 2020 (Tentative)onwards.
- Candidates have to download the admit card from KCET official website i.e kea.kar.nic.in, using their Application Number and Date of Birth.
- KCET Admit Card contains details such as name of candidate, roll number, address of the exam center, date of exam & time and other such details.
- Do carry any one valid Photo Identity Card like Passport / Aadhar Card / PAN Card / College Identity Card / 2nd PU / 12th Std Examination Admission Ticket / Bus Pass to the exam hall.
- It is important to preserve the admit card till till KCET Counselling is completed.
List of KCET 2020 Exam Centers
- KCET 2020 will be conducted at 54 locations, spread all over Karnataka.
- Candidates, who have claimed eligibility under Horanadu & Gadinadu Kannadiga clauses, have to choose a Center for KCET 2020 which is located only in Bangalore.
- Kannada language test will be conducted only in Bangalore center.
- Practical Examination for admission Agriculturist Quota will be conducted at following cities by concerned Agricultural / Veterinary Unviersities:
|Shimoga||Bagalkot||Arabhavai (Gokak Tq)||Mandya|
|Hiriyur (Chitradurga)||Bidar||Munirabad (Koppal District)||Hassan|
|Dharwad||Tamaka (Kolar Distruct)||Raichur||–|
KCET 2020 Exam Pattern
A brief about KCET Exam Pattern is given below to help candidates plan their preparation:
- Mode of Exam: The exam is held in offline mode (pen & paper based).
- Types of Question: Question paper are of Multiple Choice in nature.
- Number of Questions: Total 60 question are asked from each section.
- Time Duration: Each section is given 80 minutes.
- Marking Scheme: One mark is awarded for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There is no provision for negative marking. No marks are deducted/awarded for marking multiple options.
KCET Section-wise Pattern
|Subjects||Duration||No. of Questions|
|Kannada Language (in case)||60 Minutes||50|
Section-wise KCET 2020 Syllabus
KCET Question Paper is based on the First and Second PUC (Pre University College) syllabi (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology) prescribed by the Department of Pre-University Education of Karnataka State. Pre University College in Karnataka is equivalent to 10+2 or H.S.C. as prevalent in most of the education boards in India.
Some of the important concepts to study are given below:
|Subject/ Level||Important Topics|
|Physics||Unit I: Physical World and Measurement|
Unit II: Kinematics
Unit III: Laws of Motion
Unit IV: Work, Energy and Power
|Second Year PUC||Unit I: Electrostatics|
Unit II: Current Electricity
Unit III: Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
Unit IV: Electromagnetic induction and Alternating Currents
|Chemistry||Unit I: Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry|
Unit II: Structure of Atom
Unit III: Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
Unit IV: Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
|Second Year PUC||Unit I: Solid State|
Unit II: Solutions
Unit III: Electrochemistry
Unit IV: Chemical Kinetics
Unit V: Surface Chemistry
|Mathematics||Algebra, Analytical Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus|
|Mathematics – Syllabus for PUC-I/XI Std. or Equiv. Algebra||Theory Of Indices And Logarithms, Progressions, Mathematical Induction, Theory Of Equations, Permutations And Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Partial Fractions|
Recommended KCET 2020 Books?
Candidates are suggested to refer the best study material covering the entire syllabus for KCET exam. The most recommended books are given below:
|Name of the book||Author|
|Karnataka CET Explorer for Engineering PB (Paperback)||MTG|
|KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test): 14 Years Solved Papers (2000 – 2013) III Edition (Paperback)||Arihant|
|KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test): 14 Years Solved Papers (2000 – 2013) III Edition (Paperback)||Arihant|
|Karnataka CET – Explorer Medical (Paperback)||MTG|
|Text books of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics||NCERT|
|New course Physics||Pradeeps (gomber and gogia)|
|Principles of physics||S.Chands (V.K mehta and rohit Mehta)|
|Modern ABC chemistry||S.P. Jauhar|
Practice KCET Question Papers 2020
- KCET 2020 sample papers and model tests should be incorporated by all the aspirants in their preparation plan.
- Previous year question papers and question banks can help them to identify the pattern of questions and important topics that carry maximum weightage.
- Sample papers and model test papers for individual sections/papers would actually provide hands-on practice in solving questions.
- Also, it would develop speed & accuracy that is the key to candidates’ performance on the day of exam.
KCET 2020 Answer Key
- KCET provisional Answer Keys will be published at KEA Website: kea.kar.nic.in.
- Candidates/ parents/ lecturers can file their objections, if any, addressed to the “Executive Director, Karnataka Examinations Authority, Bangalore” on or before April 30, either in person or only through SPEED POST / email: keauthority‐email@example.com, with regard to any of the published answer Key, along with all supporting documents / justification.
- The objections received by the KEA will be placed before an Expert Committee, whose decision will be final for determination of the right KCET answer key.
- The answer key approved by the Expert Committee will be applied during evaluation for determination of merit order.
- Then correct answer key and the list of candidates whose results have been withheld and the reasons for withholding the results will also be published along with the results.
KCET 2020 Results
- Separate result sheets showing the Medical / Dental, ISM & H, Engineering, Architecture, Farm science, B‐Pharm and Pharm‐D ranks will be declared on May 25, 2020 (Tentative). Check KCET Results
- It can be accessed online only by visiting at the official website – kea.kar.nic.in.
- Candidates need to feed the credentials like Registration Number and Date of Birth to get the results sheet on the page.
- Candidates will get different ranks for courses like Engineering, agriculture, Horticulture, and other courses with the consideration of subjects and participants.
KCET Cut off for Top Engineering Colleges
- KCET cut off will be available in the form of Closing Ranks.
- It is the minimum qualifying rank required by the candidate to be eligible for counselling process.
- The cut off depends on varied factors such as total seats available, number of candidates appeared, level of difficulty of exam.
The following table elucidates the cut off of some preferred engineering colleges according to branch wise:
|University Visveswariah College of Engineering, Bangalore||19343||5652||5848||7216||11674|
|S K S J T Institute of Engineering, Bangalore||24140||17112||19509||–||–|
|B M S College of Engineering, Basavanagudi, Bangalore||8193||–||1601||5143||2304|
|Dr. Ambedkar Institute Of Technology, Bangalore||24047||10372||14023||22837||19764|
|R. V. College of Engineering, Bangalore||3354||573||798||622||584|
|M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore||10175||3042||2432||5949||3639|
|Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore||17578||5396||6799||15598||11208|
|Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore||16493||5555||5797||8811||10846|
|P E S Institute of Technology, Bangalore||8866||2387||2827||3227||4187|
|Sir M.Visveswaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore||19758||6230||4319||19078||17092|
- KCET Cut off is released by exam conducting authority for different institutes and branches of engineering.
- KCET Counselling and Seat Allotment for all the qualified candidates is conducted in multiple rounds as per the merit list and the no. of seats available in institutes.
KCET 2020 Counselling Process
- Counselling date: The successful candidates clearing the KCET 2020 Exam will have to take part in the counselling process which will be started from June 6, 2020(Tentative).
- Choice locking: One of the initial step before attending KCET Counselling Process is to make choice locking of the colleges and courses according to the candidates choice.
- Eligibility: Candidates must have appeared and passed the 10+2 exam and got eligible marks in the exam. Candidates who will qualify the entrance exam as per the cut off and result list will be only eligible to appear in the Counselling of KCET 2020.
- KCET Admit card: It is also mandatory to produce the admit card during the counselling process, it is advised to preserve the admit card till the completion of the counselling process.
- Information: Information about counselling will be available on the Official Website of Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA), includes all the details like counselling dates, steps to be followed, documents to be carried during the process of counselling.
- Allotment process: Allotment for admissions into 267 engineering colleges, 32 architecture colleges, 61 pharmacy colleges, 39 farm science colleges and 76 ISM&H colleges happens through the counselling.
Seat Allotment Process
- KCET 2020 Online Seat Allotment will be started from June 6, 2020 (Tentative).
- Candidates are allotted seats in various programs under different disciplines of Medical, Dental, Ayurveda, Homoeopathy, Unani, Naturopathy & Yoga, Engineering & Technology and Pharmacy.
- Candidates have to complete the document verification process before obtaining provisional admission.
- They have to submit the choices for option entry during KCET Seat Allotment rounds.
- KEA also conducts a Mock Seat Allotment round for the benefit of all the eligible candidates.
KCET 2020 Reservation of Seats
Candidates claiming reservation in Karnataka CET will have to fulfill the eligibility criteria of KCET 2020. KCET Reservation Criteria for different categories are mentioned below:
Reservation for reserved category candidates – OBC, SC and ST
- To avail the benefit of KCET 2020 reservation of seats, candidates must belong to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Other Backward Classes of citizens under categories 1, 2A, 2B, 3A and 3B.
- Such candidates must produce ‘Caste Certificate/ Caste Income Certificate’ issued by the concerned Jurisdictional Tahasildar during document verification.
Reservation for Rural candidates
- 15% of the government seats are reserved horizontally in favour of rural candidates who have studied ten full academic years from Class 1-10 in educational institutions within Karnataka.
Reservation for Kannada medium candidates
- 5% of the government seats are reserved horizontally for students who have studied ten full academic years in Kannada medium from Class 1-10 in educational institutions within Karnataka.
Colleges Accepting KCET Score
Top 10 engineering participating colleges in KCET are mentioned below:
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
- BVB College of Engg & Tech, Hubli
- National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
- RNS Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- B.M.S College of Engineering, Bull Temple Road, Bangalore
- MS Ramiah Institute of Tech, Bangalore
- Shri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore
- Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- P.E.S. Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore
KCET Scholarships 2020
Candidates from financially backward criteria (SC/ ST/ OBC) can avail the scholarships offered by GOI for pursuing their higher education. The details of KCET Scholarships are given below:
Post Matric Scholarships for OBC Students
- This scholarship is for students who wish to pursue B.E,MBBS,BDS,MBA,MCA Ayurvedic,Homeopathy,Unani,etc (graduation&P.G.courses).
- They should belong to BC Categories under G.O. st; 30.3.2002 and must not have availed any other scholarship.
- Applicants must not be inmates of any government or government-aided hostels.
- Candidates can avail the scholarship forms from their respective college.
- The filled-in applications should be sent to the B.Cs. Extension Officer. The filled-in applications will be thoroughly scrutinized and the post metric scholarships are disbursed to the eligible students.
Merit Scholarship to College/Professional Institutions Students Belonging To SC/ST/OBC/Minorities
- Department of Welfare for SC/ST/OBC/Minorities disburse scholarships to students in four categories namely A, B, C, and D.
- Candidates willing to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate professional courses like Engineering, Medicine, Ayurveda or Unani can apply for this scholarship scheme.
- It is open to both- hoteliers and day scholars.
- The duration of the scholarship is based on the duration of course.
- Income limit does not exist for the students who are availing this scholarship. However, for OBC candidates the income limit is INR 1,00,000 per annum.
- To apply, you can contact your college Principal or visit the website of Department of SC/ST/OBC Welfare.
KEA Contact Details
Karnataka Examinations Authority (KEA)
18th Cross, Sampige Road, Malleshwaram,
BANGALORE – 560 012
Helpline: 080 – 23 460 460 (5 Lines) From 10.00 am to 6.00 pm