University of Tasmania: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1890, the University of Tasmania is located on an island, 250 km from the coast of Melbourne, Australia. It lies in one of the most beautiful environments framed by beaches, snowfields, and wilderness.
The University of Tasmania is among the top 2% universities worldwide for their constant efforts towards providing an excellent education and challenging environment. It takes pride in its internationally recognized teaching programs and research institutes like the Australian Maritime College (AMC), Menzies Institute, and Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies.
With 150 undergraduate and 130 graduate programs, it has more than 29,000 students enrolled. The university has 5 faculties and three special research institutes and has an excellent network of 90,000 alumni across 120 countries.
University of Tasmania Rankings
- The University of Tasmania has been ranked at 287th by QS World University Rankings 2019.
- The Times Higher Education World University Rankings has ranked the university in the 301-350th group worldwide with 3rd in the impact rankings, Climate action 2020.
- According to the 2017 Academic Ranking of World Universities, the University of Tasmania has been ranked 284th worldwide.
|Application mode||Online on official website|
|Document submission mode||Online|
|Courses offered||Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Regular, online, diplomas and certificates)|
|Tuition fee||30k to 40k AUD per annum|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships and Work-Study|
|International Admission helpdesk||+61 3 6226 2999 |
University of Tasmania Campus
- The university has four campuses: Hobart, Launceston, Sydney, and the Cradle Coast Campus. All campuses except the Sydney campus are located on Tasmania Island. Every campus is surrounded by natural beauty such as the sea coast, snowfields, and the mountains.
- Each university campus has its own well-equipped accommodation facilities as well as Cafes, Restaurants, Gymnasium, Clubs & Societies.
- There are five faculty buildings offering various programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. There are numerous state-of-the-art marine research facilities in nearby coastal areas.
University of Tasmania Residence
- It provides on-campus/off-campus residential facilities through its Studio Apartments, Shared flats, and Rooms. The application for residence can be made online.
- Off-campus long term accommodations such as private shared flats and single rooms are available in nearby campus and are advertised on notice boards of the campus.
- For temporary accommodation, a number of hostels are available. Other expensive facilities such as hotels are also available.
University of Tasmania Programs
- The university offers around 250 undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines through its five faculties.
- With more than 150 undergraduate programs, it offers degrees like BBA, Bachelor of Engineering (Specialisation + Honours), Bachelor of Arts, Bachelors of Social Sciences, etc. in the fields of Agriculture, Architecture, Art, Music and Theatre, Business and Economics, Dementia Care, Health Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences, Law and Justice Studies, etc.
- The university offers about 130 Masters and Doctoral programs such as MBA, Masters of Architecture, Master of Maritime Engineering, Master of Science in Computer Engineering, Doctorate in Philosophy, etc. at its four campuses.
- Graduate Certificates and Diploma courses such as a Graduate Certificate in Maritime Engineering and a Diploma in Strategic Communication are also offered.
University of Tasmania Application Process
Applicants can apply for the University of Tasmania admissions online. Students first need to select the course from the website and sign up for that.
- Choose your program: Courses
- Application deadline: Admissions are offered on a rolling basis.It is recommended for international students to apply 3 months before semester start date.
- Semester 1 commences – February 24
- Semester 2 commences – July 13
- Application fee: NO FEE
Supporting Documents and Eligibility:
- Application form
- Certified copy of certificates from high school/college/university
- CV/Resume (for PG)
- Official translation of transcripts if not in English
- Copy of passport
- Additional course-specific requirements.
- University of Tasmania English language programs completion OR
- English Language Proficiency Scores: TOEFL IBT – 72, IELTS – 6.0, PTE – 50
University of Tasmania Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance varies with programs. The average range of tuition fee for undergraduate and graduate programs per year for international students is tabulated below –
|Undergraduate||29,950 AUD - 34,950 AUD|
|Graduate||30,950 AUD – 37,000 AUD|
Weekly Accommodation rates on campus (In AUD)
|Flat (2 or more bedroom)||240|
Average Cost of Living (excluding tuition and other academic costs) may go up to 20,000 AUD per annum. The cost of living is tabulated here:
|Expense||Cost (In AUD)||Term|
|Food and groceries||50-100||Weekly|
|Textbooks and study supplies||200-300||Annually|
University of Tasmania Financial Aid for International Students
- The Australian government offers international scholarships such as Full Tuition Fee waivers, Travel Scholarships, Establishment Allowances, and much more. These scholarships are offered by the Department of Foreign Affairs on the basis of merit and need.
- The University of Tasmania offers various scholarships such as Tasmanian International Scholarships (25 % Reduction on Tuition Fee ) and a 10% UTAS Tuition fee discount (Family and Postgraduate Alumni discounts).
- There are various department wise scholarships offered by the Australian Maritime College, College of Health and Medicine Scholarships, Law Scholarships, etc ranging from 15 % to 50 % reduction on tuition fee.
- Some of the scholarships require filling an International Student Application form.
- Work-study opportunities such as part-time jobs on-campus/off-campus are provided by the university career connect to support living and education expenses.
University of Tasmania Alumni
- University of Tasmania has a large alumni network with more than 90,000 alumni across 120 countries. It offers various benefits to its alumni such as Tuition Fee discounts for graduate programs, Free Event entries, Library Access, lifelong opportunities through email, etc.
Some of the notable alumni are –
- Professor Greg Lehman
- Dr. Sukhwinder Singh Sohal
- Josh foley
- Cale Barrett
University of Tasmania Placements
- The university has a career development center called Career Connect where students are advised and prepared for real life working opportunities. Mock interviews, resume building workshops, and industrial training helps students to gear themselves up for the real world.
- Career connect provides part-time job, internships, and full-time job opportunities for students.
|COURSE NAME||ANNUAL FEES||DURATION||IELTS EXAM ACCEPTED||TOEFL EXAM ACCEPTED|
|Doctor of Philosophy [Ph.D] Nursing||25,734||3 YEARS||6||72|
|Master Pharmaceutical Science||$ 23,133||2 YEARS||6||72|
|Master of Architecture [M.Arch]||$ 23,133||2 YEARS||6||72|
|Master of Public Health [M.P.H]||$ 22,431||2 YEARS||6||72|
|Bachelor Architecture and Built Environments||$ 21,397||3 YEARS||6||72|
|Bachelor of Business [B.Bus]/Bachelor of Law [L.L.B]||$ 24,298||5 YEARS||6||72|
|Bachelor of Law [L.L.B] Direct Entry||$ 24,020||4 YEARS||6||72|
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc]/Bachelor of Law [L.L.B]||$ 24,298||5 YEARS||6||72|
|Master of Applied Science [M.ASc] Chemistry||$ 21,729||2 YEARS||6||72|
|Master of Finance [M.Fin]||$ 18,125||2 YEARS||6||72|