Andhra Christian College was founded with the ideal of providing for the youth of the country in general and of Guntur and other districts of Andhra Pradesh in particular the high type of Christian education. It holds to the Truism that secular training is insufficient and so to it seeks implant in its students, those truths which can raise men to a purer and nobler life and which are efficacious in the building up of character. Its sponsors trust that the men and women trained here will be filled with that spirit of service and inspired by those ideals of life which will lend them to dedicate their lives and talents to the best interest of their fellows and their country.
Andhra Christian College is a co-educational institution. Since 1926 the educational opportunities at Andhra Christian College have been opened to young women on equal terms with young men. The college endeavors to give its women students real college life and encourage their participation in all of its activities as the best means of preparing them for meeting the challenges of life which await them.
Andhra Christian college desires to cultivate in all its students men and women a knowledge and appreciation of the social amenities which make for harmonious human relationships and to create a proper regard for sound social values.
Andhra Christian College seeks to assist its students to develop the power of clear thinking based upon sound and broad knowledge, to develop an attitude of open mindedness to emphasize the practice of testing all information and conclusions and to develop creative scholarship.
Andhra Christian College desires to train and assist its students to uphold the great ideals of the human race, and to respect the dignity of man and the sacredness of human personality.
Andhra Christian College believes that the years of intellectual discipline should create in its students a sense of civic responsibility and encourage them to accept that responsibility as the natural compliment of the privileges they have enjoyed.
Andhra Christian College had its beginnings in the first Anglo – Vernacular school, which was already established in district collector’s compound and handed over in 1842 to Fr. Heyer who came to Guntur and established the American Evangelical Lutheran Mission in the same year. This school was supported by subscriptions from English friends of Missionary education then living in Guntur. Owing to financial and other difficulties due to civil war in America, the school was closed in 1863. And it was reopened in the year 1873, when it was re – organized by Dr. L.L. Uhl. From this time the school increased in number, service and influence. In September 1885, with Dr. L.B. Wolf as the Principal, the school was affiliated to the Madras University as a Second Grade College, known as the American Evangelical Lutheran Mission (A.E.L.M.) College. Through the efforts of Dr. Uhl and by the generous gifts of Mr. Arthur Watt and other friends in the United States, funds were secured with which the Watt’s Memorial Building was built. This building was first occupied in 1893.In 1907 Dr. Wolf retired from service in India and Dr. Uhl again assumed charge continuing as Principal until 1913 when he was succeeded by Dr. J. Roy Strock. In 1915 Dr. Uhl was appointed as Principal emeritus and in 1916 on Dr. Strock’s going on furlough, Rev. G.A. Ripely became the Principal and continued until Dr. Strock’s return to the College in 1919.In April 1922, Dr. Strock, at the invitation of the Church Missionary Society, assumed the Principalship of Noble College. Masulipatnam, and Dr. Victor Me. Cauley acted as Principal for the College until January 1923, when Dr. H.H. Sipes took charge Dr. Sipes served until January 1927 when Dr. Strock returned to the College.In 1925 in response to the invitation of Andhra Christian Council representing all the Christian Missions working in the Telugu area the U.L.C. Mission undertook the development of United Christian College for Andhra Pradesh. The Mission authorities under the leadership of Rev. J.Roy Strock, D.D. inaugurated a campaign in America for the raising of three hundred thousand dollars for the development of the College. The campaign was successful and practically the full amount required was secured. In March 1926 the College was affiliated to the Madras University as First Grade College offering courses in Mathematics, Philosophy and History for the B.A. Degree.
The Andhra University Act came into force in April 1926 and the first B.A. Class was admitted to the College in the following July. This development inaugurated a new era in the life of the institution which in the years following rapidly won outstanding place among the colleges of the university.
In January 1928 by an action of the Mission Council the name of the institution was changed from the A.E.L.M. College to Andhra Christian College.
Upon Dr. Strock’s going on furlough in January 1937, Dr. Sipes was appointed as the Principal. B.Sc. Courses in Mathematics and Physics were introduced in 1934 and negotiations were opened with Madras Government for the Old District Munsiffs Court site of 7 acres to provide additional land for College purpose.
In 1937 the District Muniffs Court site was purchased. In December 1938 upon the resignation of Dr. Strock, Mr. V Ch. John, M.A. LT. was appointed as Principal of the College. He assumed charge on January, 1,1939 and continued to serve until his retirement in June 1941 when he was succeeded by Dr. Sipes.
During the years 1938-41 the college carried out an extensive building programme under the supervision of the Rev. John Flnefrock, D.D. of the Mission Building Department. Heyer and Wolf Halls were erected at a cost of Rs. 40,000 to provide modern hostel accommodations for 300 students with the Luther League ndministration. Building providing additional class-rooms, offices nnd general room, a new Assembly Hall to seat 1,200 people were built and occupied from July, 1948. In January 1944, Dr. Sipes proceeded on furlough and Rev. C.H. Swavely served as Principal iinlil the return of Dr. Sipes in November 1945. Dr Sipes continued Principal till September 1948.
Rev. C.H. Swavely was acting Principal from September 1948 to April 1950.
Dr. T.S. Paulus was appointed as Principal and assumed charge from May 1, 1950 and sewed till his retirement in July 1962. Rev. C.H. Swavely became Bursar from May 1950 and left on furlough in November, 1955. Miss. Lilith Schawab assumed charge as Bursar of the College from November 1952 to June 1954. Rev. C.H. Swavely assumed charge as Bursar of the College on his return from furlough in July, 1954, until his retirement in April 1960.
During these years the college progressed in physical size and accommodation under the initiative of Dr. T.S. Paulus Principal and Mr. C.N. Devadanam, Bursar. The Strock Hall, the Recreation Hall, N.C.C. Building and the new Chemistry Laboratory, have been added to the College plant in recent years. This additional accommodation has ushered in a new progressive era in the life of the College.
|Institute Type||Private College|
|Name of the Institute||Andhra Christian College – ACC|
|Location||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh|
|Affiliated||Acharaya Nagarjuna University – ANU|
The Assembly Hall
The Assembly Hall was erected in 1940-41 and is equipped with a modern stage. With a seating capacity for about 1,200, it provides accommodation for the general assembly’s of the College, entertainment, lectures and other public functions.
Worship and religious programmes of all kinds in the College shall be in accordance with Christian principles.
Apart from this there is J.D SEELAM SEMINAR HALL with a capacity of 300 .
The Non-Resident Student Centre and the Recreation Hall:
We have a Non-resident Student Centre(Cafeteria) Primarily meant for the day scholars and Recreation Hall, the latter having been raised partly by the student labour.
Poor Students Fund (Student Welfare Fund)
The Poor Student Fund was set up during the academic year 2011 – 12 with a view to alleviate the tuition fee and hostel establishment fee requirements of the poor students of the college.
The Library and Reading Room are accommodated in a newly built Swavely Library Building. The Library contains more than 45,000 volumes and is constantly receiving additions. The books are classified and cataloged according to the Dewy Decimal system. The books are well selected and constitute a good working Library. All students and members of the college staff are permitted to use the Library under the following rules.
Rules of the Library :
Perfect silence should be observed in the Library.
The Library is open from 9 a.m. to 12-30 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on all working days. On Saturday the Library is open from 8 a.m. to 12-30 p.m. only. Library remains closed on Sundays and other public holidays.
Books are issued only upon written application signed by the borrower presented along with the borrower’s card. Books applied for before 12 noon will be issued after 3 p. m. on the same day.
Cards for borrowing of the books are issued to members of the staff at the beginning of the year upon application. Borrower’ s cards are issued to students upon presentation of college Identification card. All Borrower’ s cards shall be returned to Library at the end of every academic year.
Borrower’ s cards will be kept in the hands of the owner. In the case of Borrower’ s card being lost a new card will be issued upon payment of Rs.10 but the owner is responsible for all books that may be found to have been drawn on the lost card.
Students will be allowed two books at a time for a period of one week.
Marking on books or writing in them is absolutely forbidden. The Borrower using a book will be held responsible for any defect or mutilation not pointed out at the time of taking the book.
A book lost or mutilated shall be replaced by a new copy of the same book within one month from due date. The acceptance of book once reported as lost is left to the discretion of the librarian.
A book may be renewed for a second period upon presentation to the Library, provided no other application for the book is pending.
All books must be applied for in person. No book will be issued to messengers or peons.
Absence from the College will not relieve a borrower of the responsibility for returning books upon the due date.
Students appearing for the University Examination must return all books borrowed from the Library at least two days before the day announced from the issue of hall tickets.
Books on reference may be consulted in the reading room only, and under no circumstances they may be taken from the Library.
Students are forbidden to take books into places where there is sickness of an infectious nature.
All books without any exception must be returned for the annual stock-taking.
Lecturers will normally be allowed to borrow not more than two books for a period of one month at a time. No book is to be kept beyond the due date unless renewed.
Tutors, demonstrators and special borrowers will be allowed to take not more than five books at a time for two weeks at a time.
Members of the staff should inform the Librarian when they bring guests to the Library.
A fine of twenty five paise for a day per book will be levied for books not returned on due date.
The librarian is authorised to carry out all the provisions of these rules including the fines to be paid to the Fee Collector in the college office.
The Reading Room:
The working hours of the Reading Room are the same as those of the Library.
Magazine and Newspapers may be secured by applying for them at the periodical Desk. They will be charged to the borrower until he personally returns them. In case of loss, the periodical will be replaced at the borrower’ s expense.
Lecturers only have the privilege of taking one correct periodical after 4-30 p.m. to be returned before 10 a.m. the following morning or on Monday morning if taken on Saturday. Only one may be taken at a time and no one having periodicals or books overdue shall, be eligible for the privilege. No illustrated periodical, current, batch number, or bound volume is normally allowed to be taken from the library.
Bound volumes of periodicals, excepting a few which are reserved as reference volumes, are treated as lending books.
Any student marking or cutting any magazine newspaper or book will be liable to fine and may be debarred from the Reading Room.
Silence shall be maintained in the Reading Room. Students who fail to observe this will be liable to a fine.
The working hours of the reference section are the same as that of the Library.
Strict silence should be observed in the reference section and those that study in the reference section should not cause any kind of disturbance to others.
Students are allowed into the reference section only on presenting their borrower’s cards and after signing in the entrance to the reference section.
Books in the reference section will not be issued. Members of the staff may, however write for permission of the principal to borrow reference books on Saturday and return them on the following Monday morning.
Reference books and question papers taken out from the shelves must be left on the reference section after consultation.
Students are prohibited to take any text-book or printed matter along with them except note-books.
Marking or cutting of pages is strictly prohibited.
Any member that violates any of the above rules will be dealt with severely.
Ambedkar University – [AU], Delhi
MAHE – Manipal
MAHE – Manipal
Ram Institute of Hotel Management – [RIHM], Dehradun
Ram Institute of Hotel Management – [RIHM], Dehradun