Northern Alberta Institute of Technology Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Set up in 1962, the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT), Edmonton, Alberta is a polytechnic institute delivering industry-oriented, hands-on, technology-based education and applied research. A non-profit, public, co-educational facility, the institute has campuses in Edmonton, Patricia, Souch, Spruce Grove and in Calgary.
NAIT is well known for its applied research programs in the fields of Energy & the Environment, Bio-Economy, Health & Life Sciences, Business & Entrepreneurship, and Trades & Construction.
Why Choose NAIT?
- According to UniRank, NAIT’s country rank is 52 while its world rank is 1519.
- In the current edition of Ranking Web of Universities, NAIT stands at 81 and 4564 respectively country –wise and globally.
- NAIT is Canada’s one of the largest apprenticeship trainers, providing 34 registered trades programs.
- 47 research projects in emerging industry challenges, of which 94% is in partnership with the industry.
- NAIT provides customized Corporate and International Training to corporates and organizations around the globe as part of its Business and Industry Solutions.
- NAIT has been named Alberta’s top employer for the 7th consecutive years since 2012.
- The Centre for Applied Technology was awarded gold status by the international Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system.
- NAIT’s JR Shaw School of Business is the first polytechnic to be inducted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program.
- 86% employment rate within 9 months of graduating from full-time programs
- 95% of graduates are satisfied with the relevance of their education
- 92% of graduates are satisfied with the quality of instruction while 97% of graduates would recommend NAIT
- 30% average annual return on student tuition investment
- NAIT Students immensely appreciate the opportunity of gaining practical experience simultaneously with theoretical knowledge.
- NAIT’s inclusive policy welcomes students with disabilities as well as the LGBTQ community to its campus.
Campus and Residential Facilities
NAIT Main Campus is located centrally in Edmonton – the capital city of Alberta. Most of the full-time programs of NAIT are offered at the main campus, which is also the hub for student activities and athletics.
Patricia campus in the northwest part of Edmonton houses a host of mechanical, industrial and trades training programs such as Auto Body Repair, Gasfitter, Insulator etc. Student services like Health and Conference Facilities are also available at this campus apart from cafeteria and Resource room.
The NAIT Waiward Centre for Steel Technologies at the Souch Campus is located in Edmonton-South. The Souch Campus also offers industrial and trades training like Metal Fabricator among others.
The all-new Spruce Grove Campus conducts the Crane & Hoisting Equipment Operator apprentice programs. The campus houses an advanced crane simulation lab for safety awareness and operational training of crane & hoisting apprentices.
Housing Facilities/ Residence
NAIT students have the option of living at either the University of Alberta campus or the MacEwan University residence. Students can choose to put up at any of the 5 modern, self-contained residences at both the university campuses and still be just a short ride away from the NAIT campus.
As university campus residents, students will have access to the entire gamut of student residential facilities like:
- free wireless internet
- laundry facilities
- on-campus canteen and convenience stores
- community activities, fitness and study facilities, in-residence recreation
- university residence support services
Please note that on-campus residence seats are limited and it is advisable that students apply for the same as soon as admission is confirmed.
Students also have the option of staying at off-campus apartments, condos etc. on rental/lease basis
Programs, Faculties and Divisions
NAIT offers 122 credit programs leading to four degrees, three applied degrees, and host of diplomas and certificates. Degrees that students can choose from:
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Applied Business Administration – Finance
- Bachelor of Applied Business Administration – Accounting
- Bachelor of Applied Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Construction Management
- Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management
- Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development (degree conferred by Cape Breton University)
Apprenticeship Programs and industrial training in various competitive trades are also conducted by the institute apart from continuing education for professional development.
- Students can opt to take up the programs in varying level of flexibility – full-time, part-time/evening, or online.
- The full-time degree or applied degree programs are of 4-years’ duration while the full-time diplomas are of 2-years’ duration and the apprenticeship or certificate programs are 1-year duration.
- All programs have hands-on training integrated into the curriculum.
Schools of Studies at NAIT
- J R School of Business
- Applied Sciences and Technology
- Health & Life Sciences
- Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies
- School of Skilled Trade
- School of Continuing Education
All you need to know about Application Process
NAIT degrees have different academic and language proficiency requirements for each program. The following table presents in a tabular format the academic and language proficiency requirements along with documents required for application for each individual program:
How, when and where to apply?
The NAIT intakes and the application deadlines are tabulated below:
- Applications are accepted October 1 onwards for credit programs and courses starting in the following Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- International students can apply online for the program of their choice through https://applyalberta.ca/
Steps to apply
- Find out when to apply for the chosen program
- Submit your online application through the Alberta Post-Secondary Application System.
- Pay the non-refundable application processing fee using a credit card when you submit your application. You can apply for up to 2 programs with one application fee.
- Submit Official Academic Transcripts and Language Proficiency Test Transcripts to NAIT Office of the Registrar, 11762 106 Street NW, Room T409, Edmonton, AB, T5G 3H1 along with the International Document Assessment Fee.
- Monitor the status of your application through the MyNAIT Student Portal.
NAIT Application Fee is same for both domestic and international applicants.
What after you get admission?
- Once the application is accepted make a payment of a non-refundable, non-transferable tuition deposit to accept your offer of admission.
- Apply for Study Permit from the IRCC, Government of Canada.
- Request for on-campus residence to be placed with either MacEwan University or University of Alberta Residence Coordinator’s Office.
Cost and Expenses
The tuition fee and other mandatory fees as well as living costs for NAIT student is tabulated below:
* Inclusive of Books and Supplies
The fee payment deadline for each intake is tabulated thus:
Scholarship and Financial Aids
NAIT disburses over CAD 5 million every year in scholarships, bursaries, and awards to help deserving students. There are several entrance scholarships for new students, the deadlines ranging from March till August while continuing students who have completed at least a semester at NAIT can apply in either September or January. Scholarship Deadlines for Apprenticeship students differ depending on intakes.
Work While You Study
Students at NAIT have opportunities to work on-campus, off- campus or participate in co-op programs.
NAIT’s Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is a formalized system of integrating related work experience into a program of study. Under this system, students enrolled in the applied degree programs at NAIT undergo work experience terms, called Directed Field Studies (DFS). During these DFS terms, students are employed to gain practical experience related to academic knowledge.
- NAIT Students also have the option of gaining valuable leadership experience by volunteering with the Student Engagement team.
- Students can also seek suitable employment with NAIT through the current opportunities section on the website.
Several employment opportunities are also posted by NAITSA on their website.
NAIT graduates become a lifetime member of the Alumni Association by default enjoy the privilege of exclusive services and benefits like:
- free Techlife magazine subscription
- special offers from insurance companies and select banks
- access to NAIT recreation facilities and employment services
- scholarships for returning alumni and family.
Apart from organizing events and reunions, alumni with exemplary achievements are honored with the NAIT Alumni Recognition Awards every year. A few notable alumni of NAIT are:
- Sean Rayner- President and CEO of VETS Group
- Lina Heath- President, Eveline Charles
- Jessica Reilly- Fisheries Biologist with Government of Alberta
[table id=619 /]