VANCOUVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE, VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Vancouver Community College Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Vancouver Community College (VCC) is the largest and oldest community college in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It was founded in 1965 as Vancouver City College. It is a merger of four institutions: Vancouver Vocational Institute, Vancouver School of Art, Vancouver School Board’s Night School, and the King Edward Senior Matriculation Education Centre.
Looking at the ranking and standings
- According to Ranking Web of Universities, Vancouver Community College is placed at 112th place in Canada and at 6544th worldwide.
- The Yelp ranking puts Vancouver Community College at 4th place in British Columbia, Canada.
- UNIPAGE ranking places Vancouver Community College at 42th in Canada and globally at 4522th ranking.
Key features at a glance
- Offers career programs leading to one-year certificates, two-year diplomas, and four-year bachelor’s degrees in fields such as the arts, business, and community services.
- Offers over 140 certificate and diploma programs. Vancouver Community College has three campuses located at Broadway, Downtown and Annacis Island in Vancouver.
- Admits over 26,000 students each year from across the globe and about 8 percent of whom are international students.
- Programs also provide students with training in local businesses and facilities to gain practical skills.
- Has strong and powerful alumni network and one of its notable alumni is Kevin Cherkas, the popular chef in Canada.
Facts and figures of student intake in VCC
As of 2017, a total of 26,000 students are studying at Vancouver Community College. Here are a few stats in terms of the student intake.
- Total Undergraduate Students-2,189 students
- Total Post- graduate Students- 322 students
Guide for programs offered in VCC
Vancouver Community College offers a total of 140 programs. These are further divided into diploma, certificate and graduate, graduate, programs. Those who are eligible for these programs, can choose from programs under these levels. The college offers different streams under these degree programs.
- VCC offers international students a wide range of full-time programs to gain skills for employment.
- Mentioned below is a list of all the programs offered by VCC. You can also check vcc.ca/international for the most up-to-date program information.
Automotive Trades: These programs train on real vehicles in fully operational shops using the most up-to-date tools and technology.
- Automotive Collision and Refinishing
- Automotive Service Technology
Baking & Culinary: Under this type of programs train under highly acclaimed pastry artists and chefs in Western Canada’s largest culinary school.
- Asian Culinary
- Baking and Pastry Arts
- Culinary Arts
Health Sciences: Prepare for a career with industry-leading programs in health sciences.
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Dental Reception
- Dental Technology Science
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Dental Reception
- Dental Technology Science
Hospitality Management: Training with industry professionals and gaining the necessary skills and experiences to enter management-level positions in hotels, cruise lines and more.
Music and Dance: You can develop your talent and polish your performance skills.
Design: You can develop your inner artist while learning the tools for success in Canada’s creative industries.
- CAD and BIM Technologies
- Fashion Design and Production
- Jewelry Art and Design
- Visual Communications Design
English as a Second Language: Learn the English skills you need to work, study and participate in everyday life in Canada.
Hair & Esthetics: Train with experienced instructors in a state-of-the-art facility with real client service experience.
Office Skills: Train for office-ready skills in specialized areas.
- Administrative Assistant
- Legal Administrative Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Transcriptionist
Postgraduate Studies: After building on skills developed through an undergraduate degree, you can enhance your career prospects in a specialized subject area via postgraduate degree.
- Canadian Business Management.
Exploring the beautiful campuses of VCC
- Vancouver Community College has total three campuses.
- Two of them are easily accessible by Vancouver’s Sky Train.
- The third campus or Downtown campus is located at 200-block Dunsmuir at Hamilton which is also two blocks west of a Sky Train station.
- VCC’s second campus, known as the Broadway campus is at 1155 East Broadway which is nearby by the VCC–Clark Station.
- There is also a new third campus, it is where VCC’s Heavy Mechanical Trades are located.
- VCC also has more than 30 community outreach and learning centers across these campuses as well.
- VCC opened it’s $55 million Broadway campus expansion project in 2014. The new campus building is 133,000 square feet and it is seven story tall.
- VCC’s health sciences training programs are offered in this campus.
Understanding the application process better
- Firstly, make sure you fulfill the eligibility criteria of VCC to take admission in any of the programs.
- As per college norms, an average of 60% marks or equivalent grades during high school are required for all students applying to most credit programs.
- If you are eligible for any programs, collect all the required documents for application ahead of applying online.
Application process of VCC is completely online and here are the steps below to help in applying at VCC:
- Visit the official website of VCC at https://www.vcc.ca/
- Click on Apply now button and then click on VCC international website for application
- Next, check the availability of programs you are applying for
- Submit a complete application form and send it to VCC International Education Office during the application period.
- A complete application package includes the following:
– VCC International Education Application Form
– Application fee and assessment fee (if applicable)
– Official transcripts and certified translations (if applicable)
– Proof of English Proficiency
– Other program-specific requirements such as portfolios, reference letters, etc.
- To secure the seat in any program, pay the tuition fee before the deadline (usually within two weeks). The amount and payment deadline are indicated on the Offer of Admission.
- Apply for Student Visa along with the Offer of Admission and tuition payment receipt. Students must provide study permit by the deadline indicated on the Offer of Admission.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be reviewed, and students will not be accepted, registered or waitlisted for the program and will only be accepted if submitted during the application period
What it costs to study in VCC: Details about tuition Fee
The tuition fee charged by CBU vary from course to course and depends on place of residence of student.
Undergraduate Courses and other courses
For undergraduate courses, the following tuition fee is to be paid by students of different categories:
For postgraduate courses such as MBA, the following tuition fee is to be paid by students of different categories:
Ways to make payment
- Cash – in person only at VCC Cashier’s Office
- Debit Card – in person only at VCC Cashier’s Office
- Credit Card – in person or send in Payment Form
- Bank Draft
- Money Order
- Wire Transfer
Work While You Study
- VCC offers an on-campus employment opportunity for students who demonstrate financial need.
- Students work under the supervision of a faculty or staff member at the rate of pay is $12 per hour.
- Students who qualify for jobs need to check with their student aid authorities to find out any impact their earnings may have on student assistance.
Following are the requirement for the Work Study Program:
- Students should complete work study application and indicate jobs they wish to be considered for
- They should be in good academic standing
- They need to demonstrate financial need
- They will be available to work 10-15 hours each week.
- Should have a SIN.
How to get a SIN?
SIN or Social Insurance Number is mandatory number in order to work on campus or off campus and for tax purposes in Canada. A SIN is valid until the end of your stay or a maximum 5 years. You can renew the same if necessary. You can obtain SIN by going in person to Service Canada office along with the following documents:
- Your Passport,
- Your study permit,
- Your off-campus work permit/internship program permit.
Work After Graduation
One can also work post their graduation after obtaining a work permit in Canada. The post-graduation work permit is valid for the same and students have to fulfil the following conditions in order to be eligible for the work after graduation in Canada:
- Must have been a full-time student in Canada and must have a valid study permit.
- Must have completed a study program with minimum duration of 8 months.
- You should apply for the work permit within 90 days of receiving a document declaring completion of studies.
Scholarships-A great help in financing education
VCC provides financial aids to students in form of scholarships, bursaries and student loan programs. Students will to avail these financial advances have to apply well in advance. Mentioned below are details of some of the scholarships offered by VCC
Understanding easy housing plans
Vancouver Community College provides a homestay facility to their International students for a familiar experience with Canadian family.
- It includes private bedroom with bed, closet, chair, lamp, dresser and bedding
- Bathroom, Kitchen and TV room are commonly shared
- Telephone and Laundry facilities are also provided
- Students are also provided three meals per day
Some noted alumni from a wide alumni network
Every year VCC awards its notable alumni for their outstanding contribution to VCC or other local community. Mentioned below are names of 2017 alumni awards winners:-
- Jim Storie, President and CEO (Retired), The Vancouver Trolley Company
- Neal Rusell, President & General Manager of Protec Dental Laboratories Ltd.
- Leah Patitucci, Chef, The Pear Tree Restaurant
- Nelly Gomez, Faculty member of VCC
[table id=637 /]