Capilano University Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Capilano University, established in 1968 is a teaching-focused public university located in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The university offers graduate and undergraduate programs in various fields.
Why should you choose Capilano University?
Capilano is listed below 50 when listed in the top Canadian Universities. The university also holds various features making the university to come in the list of top universities.
Rankings and Standings
- Ranked 26th in 2018 Canadian University Ranking.
- Ranked 12th in 2018 British Columbia University Ranking.
- Recognized by the British Columbia’s Education Quality Assurance (EQA) designation.
- In Canadian business world, some Alumni are also to be named members of the “Power 50”.
- The university has won three silver medals in CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education) conference in Feb 8, 2018.
- The university received recognition for successful energy conservation by Fortis B.C in May 2016.
- The university has 2- year diploma co-op program in Tourism Management, with four-month supervised co-op work term.
- Has full-term and short-term student exchange program with over 20 countries.
- Two new programs launched in the university: Applied Behavior Analysis (Autism) Post Baccalaureate Certificate and Hotel and Resort Management Post Baccalaureate Diploma.
- The programs available in Capilano University are Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, Certificate, Citations, Diplomas, Graduate Diplomas and Post Baccalaureates.
- Dual course is offered by Capilano in Rehabilitation Assistant Diploma in coordination with University of British Columbia in Speech Science Degree
- Admission for Mature and homeschool students, where students who meet the required eligibility can apply. Students who do not meet the program academic requirement but meet the English language requirement and are of 19 years and older can apply as mature students.
- Capilano pathway programs allow International students to enter directly into Business and ECCE (Early childhood care and Education) courses while taking up academic English course as well.
- Students in secondary class who have superior academic records can apply for limited admission, which will allow them to enroll in one or two Arts or Science courses while they are still in secondary school.
- Foundation courses are offered in Visual Science program.
- Volunteering options are available and whoever work for more hours in volunteering get additional benefits.
- International students can opt for the Voluntary Leadership and Mentorship program, where the student leaders and mentors become peer support to new international students.
- Various clubs and committees are available on campus which International students can join. Some of the groups are Capilano Maker Space, Game on Cap U, Psychocentric etc. Also, committees are available in campus which includes Social Justice Committee, the Women’s Collective etc.
Student Intake Stats
Given below are the student intake stats in Capilano University:
- Total student enrollment is 8,231 in credit programs.
- International student enrollment is 1,369.
- Arts & Science Programs: 26%, Specialty programs: 65%, Access programs: 9%
- Percentage of Full time students: 54% & Part time students: 46%
- An additional 4,000 people take non-credit courses each year
Campuses & Residence
North Vancouver Campus
The main campus of Capilano is in North Vancouver, which is located on the slopes of North Shore, and is less than 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver. This campus offers most of the programs, certificates, diplomas and degrees.
Sunshine Coast Campus
This campus is situated in the southwest side of mainland British Columbia, which is about a180 km stretch. In Sunshine coast campus, class sizes are small and facilitate close, personal connections between faculty and students. Eight certificate courses offered here.
Capilano University offers fully furnished rooms with mandatory meal plan which provides a range of healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner options in the dining hall.
The accommodation is provided in CapU Residence and they have 3 halls: Grouse Hall, Cypress Hall, and Seymour Hall which provides the housing and amenities for students.
Facilities at the Residence
The facilities available for students at the residence include:
- Fully furnished room
- Meal plan
- High-speed wireless internet
- Access to shared TV lounges
- Study rooms
- Laundry facilities
- Events, programming and support
How to apply for Residence?
- To apply for residence, students need to login to the CapU Residence portal from the official website.
- Pay the application fees
- The team will review the applications and contact the selected students which will take place in 3 rounds.
- Selected applicants will receive an “Offer of Residence” in their Capilano University email.
- To accept the offer, students need to pay CAD 500 as the confirmation payment.
Besides the usual routine courses, Capilano is launching Cap core courses for Baccalaureate students. The faculties and programs at the university are discussed below
Faculties at the University
The faculties available in the Capilano University includes
- Faculty of Arts & Sciences
- Faculty of Business & Professional Studies
- Faculty of Education, Health & Human Development
- Faculty of Fine & Applied Arts
- Faculty of Global & Community Studies
- The university offers courses in Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, Certificate, Citations, Diplomas, Graduate Diplomas and Post Baccalaureates.
- Capilano is also introducing Cap core courses for Baccalaureate students starting from 2018 fall season.
- There are 99 programs, with 22 certificate programs, 28 diplomas, 12 Bachelor’s degrees and 8 Post-graduate credentials.
- University has co-op program in Tourism Management. During the diploma, one can tailor their electives to fit an area of interest, electives range from hotel, adventure, events, eco-tourism and tourism planning.
- The university offers joint courses in business management with partner institutions so that students can complete a part of their study in those partner locations.
- A student can choose the various schedules from Full-time, part-time or online.
All you need to know about Application Process
The application process demands fulfilment of certain criteria to be eligible for applying to the university. The criteria maybe different for different programs, here the general requirements common to all is discussed along with the application process.
1.Most programs require equivalent secondary school education. Certain programs also have additional requirements such as interviews, portfolios, special testing, or auditions which can be viewed from those admission requirements under that program.
2.Students need to meet the English language requirement. They need to attend one of the English language tests given below. If the university decides the candidate needs additional instruction in English, they may need to attend EAP placement test.
Apply online from the official website
- Check the eligibility criteria
- Complete the online application form given on the official website and pay the application fees
- Submit the required documents given below:
- Proof of English language requirement (not required for EAP applicants)
- High School transcript including proof of graduation
- Post-secondary transcript (if applicable)
- Certified translations in English of all documents submitted in another language
- Certain programs may require a portfolio submission or an audition or an interview
- Check the status of the application – If selected, students will receive an acknowledgment letter. The processing time may take 3-4 weeks.
- Accept the Offer of Admission- To accept the opportunity, students must pay CAD 5,000 as the tuition and fee deposit. After the payment, students must keep a close watch on the e-mail to receive Letter of Acceptance and Information.
Apply for study permit: International students must apply for a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). They must submit the letter of admission from Capilano University and the immigration letter to apply for Study Permit. Visit – www.canada.ca for further details.
Cost & Expenditure
- Tuition fees comprises of standard domestic tuition fee as well as surcharge. There are certain specialized programs and courses which have tuition and other fees as well.
- Tuition for Canadian Citizens / Permanent Residents is CAD 127.71 per credit.
- For international students, this is CAD 572 per credit.International students are not required to pay tuition surcharges for REC 175 or WLP courses. They will be charged a reduced rate of CAD 464.00 for all EAP courses except EAP 100 and 101.
Room types and pricing per term
Meal plan is mandatory for all students. The price for the same is CAD 2173 per term.
Scholarship & Financial Aid
The financial aid is a way to help the deserving students to study without the tension of fees. Some of the aids provided by the University are discussed here
All you need to know about the application process
The application process for admission to undergraduate, graduate and other programs is same for all except the international students. However, basic application steps necessary for all are mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of the university, https://www.cbu.ca
- Click on the “admission” option
- Hit “Apply Now” button to fill the form
- Complete the form online and mail the supporting documents at the postal address of the university.
Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards
Entrance awards: Capilano University entrance awards recognize and support excellence in scholastic, athletic, and artistic achievement, and for those in financial need.
Awards for Current & Returning Students: They need to complete one general online application to be put into the running for most awards, and then complete additional documents to make sure they are in the running for all the available awards.
The most valued award for the students is Capilano Excellence Scholarship worth CAD 60,000. Apart from that, other scholarships have values between CAD 700 to CAD 7,000.
Some of the entrance scholarships, awards and bursaries are listed below:
Awards for International Students
Capilano University offers several awards and assistance for International students too such as Entrance scholarships and awards, Student Loans, Scholarships, External awards.
Entrance Scholarships and Awards open to international students include:
- Athletic Entrance Awards
- Canadian Offshore School Entrance Awards
- Capilano Achievement Scholarships (CAPA)
- Capilano Program Awards (CAPP)
- Capilano Excellence Scholarships (CAPX)
- Capilano University Graduate Program Entrance Awards
- International Students Entrance Awards
- Maple Leaf Education Systems (MLES) Entrance Awards
How to apply for the Awards?
- Once the students register and apply to university they will receive email with login details.
- They need to login to their Student Information Web Service account using those credentials.
- Select Financial Aid and Awards > Apply for Scholarships, Bursaries, Awards, and Fee Deferrals.
- Select the entrance season and the year for the list of Entrance Awards.
- Follow the instructions on the application and complete the required information.
- Read the declaration at the end of the application and confirm the agreement, press the “Submit” button. User will receive confirmation on the screen stating that the online entrance award application has been successfully submitted.
Work while you study
Students holding a valid study permit can work off campus while they complete their studies.
To work off campus without work permit:
- Students should have a valid study permit.
- They must be full-time students at a Canadian university and have started studying.
- They must be in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and is at least six months long and
- They must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
If qualified to work off campus, a student can work up to 20 hours per week.
Work as a Co-op Student or Intern
Students can apply for co-op work permit if:
- They have a valid study permit.
- Working is important for the study program in Canada.
- It is mentioned in the school letter that work placements is necessary for their degree.
- The study is 50 percent or less of the total program of study.
Some of the noted alumni of the Capilano University are as follows:
- James Brown – Motion Picture Arts Diploma ’08 – award winning film and television producer and two-time LEO award recipient
- Chelsey Reist – Acting for the Camera Certificate ’05, Acting for Stage and Screen Diploma ’09 – Television and film actor
- Greg Quan – Jazz Studies Diploma ’95, B. Music ’97- A gifted and passionate Choral conductor
- Josephine Anderson- Documentary certificate- documentary filmmaker recently selected as one of four participants for the NFB/CFC Creative Documentary Lab.
- Linda Epp- Advocate for First Nation Rights
- Cindy Lee – Received a Certificate of Merit Award for the 2016 Child Care Awards of Excellence (Ministry of Children and Family Development).
Benefits to Alumni
- Capilano U Career Development Centre Benefits Alumni – helps in career advises and career events all the year around.
- University invites inspirational speakers and career mentors to share their experiences and provide mentoring support to the students.
- Cap U Library – The alumni get the library facility at no cost, they need a valid ID proof with address.
- Alumni can save money and get services needed which includes even home insurance.
[table id=642 /]