Carleton University Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Established in 1942, Carleton University is a public university located between the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal, nearby downtown Ottawa, Ontario. The university is also known as Canada’s Capital University.
Among the best comprehensive universities in Canada, Carleton University received more than 1 lakh application for admission in the Fall 2018 intake. The university also offers part-time and online courses With a student population of over 30,000, it offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in a wide array of disciplines.
- #501-600 in the World University Rankings: Times Higher Education Ranking 2020.
- 5th in Canada’s top comprehensive schools 2018: Maclean’s
- 651-700th in the QS World University Rankings
- Average Graduation rate: 68.7 %
Carleton University Campus and Residential Facilities
The campus of Carleton University is situated on Algonquin territory beside the historic Rideau Canal, an official UNESCO World Heritage Site in the capital city of Canada. It has 20 academic buildings, a library, a gymnasium, an ice house, a field house, and a physical recreation center.
- The campus is served by the OC Transpo that operates the O-Train connecting the university to Mechanicsville in the north and South Keys in the south.
- The university has 9 buildings for housing students. The housing agreement will depend upon the status of the applicant and the term.
- All students of the fall term can apply for residence from February 1 (10:00 am).
- The last date for applying residence is June 7, 4:30 pm.
- Carleton Residential Complex has two types of living style: traditional and suite-style.
- A traditional double room consists of two beds, two desks with chairs, connected with a washroom shared with another double room.
- The suite-style room consists of double rooms and single rooms having beds, desks with chairs, shared bathrooms, kitchen, and sitting area.
As there is only a limited seat available on-campus, students can stay off-campus. The city of Ottawa has plenty of housing options for international students. Carleton’s International Office and Resource Centre assist students to find apartments, houses, and rooms off-campus
Programs and Faculty at Carleton University
Carleton University offers more than 150 programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels through its five faculties and one business school. The university also offers various graduate diplomas, collaborative specializations, and online programs.
Carleton University Application Process
Applicants can use Carleton360 Portal or Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) to apply for admission in various programs offered by Carleton University. Applicants must note to check the eligibility criteria and admission requirements for the program they are applying to. International applicants should try to complete their application process at least five months before the date of entry.
- The application fee is76 USD for each undergraduate and graduate program while applying through Carleton360.
- For the MBA program, the application fee is 113 USD
- The fee is 194 USD for OUAC’s application(with 3 program choices)
- Once the application has been submitted, applicants will receive an email shortly confirming the submission.
- Applicants can check their application status online anytime by logging into the Carleton360 Applicant Portal.
- This portal will also notify the applicants if any additional documents are required for the assessment of their application.
International applicants must apply for a student visa to study in Canada as soon as they receive the acceptance information from Carleton University.
- Aptitude test results
- Letters of reference
- A statement of intent
- A writing sample
Cost of Attendance at Carleton
The cost of living a year at Carleton University will vary from student to student and depends on many variables such as the program of study, tuition fee, living arrangements, intend to travel and personal spending habits.
The tables below will give international students a general idea of what they can expect to spend over the academic year 2020-21 while living in Canada.
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
* The amount is for 8 months(September to May) of stay and rent.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Carleton University awards scholarships, bursaries, and various other financial aides to its students. This aid intends to recognize attract and provide incentives for excellence and also help the students need financial support. Carleton University provides 11,900 scholarships and bursaries, amounting to 17.33 million USD.
For first-time entrants with no previous attendance at post-secondary educational institutions. Awarded based on merit. No need to apply separately. The Entrance awards for international students in mentioned in the table below
The Work-Study Program is a financial aid program funded by Carleton University. International students must apply to participate in the Work-Study Program every term and be approved by the Awards Office before they can be hired.
- The applicants must demonstrate financial need as determined by the Awards Office to be eligible.
- The program has limited space and funding and the hiring will be on first-come-first-served basis.
- International students may work up to a maximum of 192 hours for the work-study period and earn up to a maximum of 2270 USD for the fall/winter session.
- The work-study hourly wage is 12 USD/hour plus vacation pay.
Carleton University offers bursaries to US/International students who demonstrate the need to finance their studies in Canada. The bursaries are awarded only after an international student has completed one year of undergraduate studies at Carleton University. Bursaries ranging from 500 USD to 1,000 USD are available for undergraduate students.
[table id=643 /]