Lakeland College Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Lakeland College is a publicly-financed college in Alberta, Canada. The college was established with the objective of promoting agricultural education. It has now diversified into other subjects as well. It offers certificate and diploma programs along with the option of university transfer.
Choose Lakeland College for a better future
According to Lakeland study, 98% students are reported being either highly satisfied or satisfied with their course at Lakeland. Some of the reasons for the same are given below:
Rankings and Statistics
- Ranked 148 in Canada by 2018 Ranking Web of Universities.
- Ranked 9263 in globally by 2018 Ranking Web of Universities
- Lakeland College is the sole inter-provincial educational institution in Canada that serves residents of two provinces-Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Lakeland College and Lambton College, Ontario partnership brought 60 international students to Lakeland’s Lloydminster campus to study business.
- Early Child Care program includes an international practicum that has been conducted in Hawaii, USA, Australia and the Dominican Republic.
- Interior Design students participate in the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) student design competitions
What students say
- I would recommend Lakeland College for the simple fact that it’s for everybody. As a mature student who went back to school much later than his 18th year, I was immediately accepted, and not ostracized in the least”– Donald James Shaw, Accounting Major, Class of 2016.
- “I do give Lakeland College credit for reigniting my interest and even preparing me for Miss Rodeo Canada. Lakeland helped me to grow enough to have the confidence to think I could take on that role and become that person. I think that I have and I am really grateful for that.” – Ali Mullin, Agribusiness, class of 2014, former Miss Rodeo Canada.
- A lot of other alumni appreciate the friendships they made, the experiences they were provided with, and the welcoming atmosphere at Lakeland.
Know about the beautiful campus of Lakeland College
Lakeland College offers student residences in both Lloydminister and Vermillion campuses. Students have Resident Assistants to help them with their needs.
- Application fee: $50
Llyodminister Residence Village
- Very close to main campus.
- Next to Bud Miller Park.
- Rates for academic year 2017-2018 include utilities, Wi-Fi, cable in the living room. Telephone is not included.
- Prairies administration building has free laundry services and a study-cum-game room.
- Families can take advantage of a playground near the Vic Juba Theatre in the west end of the family housing building.
- Single housing: Bathrooms are shared by a maximum of 4 students.
- Vermilion Residence buildings are close to all facilities of the Vermilion campus.
- Vermilion residences are alcohol-free zones.
- Rent charges cover all utilities, Wi-Fi, basic cable and parking.
- Family housing complex has bungalows and duplexes with two or more bedrooms per flat.
- Family complex has a handicapped-friendly playground.
- First year single students are allotted double rooms only.
- Single rooms are reserved for returning students or for those with special medical needs.
- Bathrooms are shared by maximum 4 students
- Each building has the following amenities:
- Common TV
- Communal kitchen with fridge and stoves.
- Free laundry (washer and dryer) in the basement.
- Free Wi-Fi
Choose from a variety of programs offered
Lakeland College offers certificate, diploma and undergraduate and graduate degree courses in the following subjects:
The degrees offered are mentioned below:
Knowing about the application process in detail
All students, irrespective of citizenship or native country, are required to demonstrate English language proficiency by the following means:
English Language Requirements
French Language Competencies
For courses that require French, the students are required to demonstrate a command of the French language through the following means:
How, when and where to apply?
- Application is to be submitted on “ApplyAlberta” service and transcripts are to be submitted at the same time.
- Domestic Students: Transcripts of previous academic achievements are required.
- International Students: If the need be, the transcripts of previous academic records will be evaluated by the International Qualifications Assessment Service in Alberta at a cost of $100 to the student.
- Scores of Language assessment tests should be sent by the testing body to Lakeland college.
- Flat application fee: $90
- Payment is to be made by credit card.
What it costs to study in Lakeland College
Students can see the exact fee on the official website and calculate it using fee calculator. Tuition fee estimates for the purposes of budgeting and applying for student loans are tabulated below:
- Single housing: Damage deposit of $500 should be paid at the time of application for residence.
- Family housing: Vermilion – Damage deposit is equal to one month’s rent. Lloydminster – $850 and it is to be paid after a housing unit has been assigned.
Llyodminister Residence Fees
Vermilion Residence Rent
Financial aids to help students fund their education
Lakeland College has given over $1.5 million in scholarships and awards money to students in 2016. Many scholarships are available to students as per subject and type of course.
Entrance Awards and Scholarships
- Criteria: Academic and Extra-curricular performance in high school.
- Availability of application forms: Early March
- Application Deadline: May 1
- Final selection results: June
- Disbursal of scholarships and awards: October after confirmation of enrollment.
Continuing Awards and Scholarships
Lakeland College provides scholarships on the basis of academics and leadership skills. Potential participation in the educational program, student clubs, college activities, sports activities and/or community organizations are also judged.
- Application process: Many awards do not require an application as the recipients are chosen as per recommendation of faculty members.
- Availability of Forms: January for some scholarships that do require an application.
- Location: Financial Aid and Awards Office.
- Deadline for submission: January 31.
Some major scholarships
- The following list is not exhaustive and potential candidates are advised to consult the Financial Aid and Awards office of Lakeland College
- Criteria: Financial need.
- Eligibility: Accepted students must maintain a requisite GPA throughout the duration of studies at Lakeland College.
- Availability of Application forms: Mid-October.
- Deadline: November 15
- Award of Bursaries: January of following year after confirmation of enrollment in the second semester.
Perks of being an alumnus of Lakeland College
Lakeland College Alumni Association is over 100 years old and is the oldest in Alberta, Canada.
- Alumni members are invited to donate to and support the following projects of the Lakeland College:
- Animal Health Clinic
- Dairy Learning Centre
- Scholarships and Bursaries
- Support a college sports team
- Livestock Brand Campaign
- Equine Learning Centre
- Insurance: Privileged access to the TD Insurance Meloche Monnex program.
- Media Communications:
- E-newsletter: The Lakeland Link is published twice every month during the academic session.
- Alumni Magazine: The Excel is a bi-annual magazine featuring profiles on ex-students and campus news.
- Alumni House on Campus
- Alumni Houses are available on both Vermilion and Lloydminister campuses for family and friends to stay on campus.
[table id=614 /]