MARINE INSTITUTE OF MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND, ST. JOHN’S, NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR
Photos: MARINE INSTITUTE OF MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND, ST. JOHN’S, NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR
Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The Marine Institute is a premier institute for research and career education in fields related to the ocean. The institute is affiliated to the Memorial University of Newfoundland, a public university in Canada and is located in the St.John’s campus of the University.
It is situated in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador near the Atlantic Ocean, providing quick access to the ocean. The specialty of the institute is the experience-based learning along with theories that prepare a student well for future endeavors.
The institute is well known for the different types of courses it offers, especially the technical certificates and diplomas that are first of its kind in the country. As the medium of instruction of the Marine Institute is English, all applicants have to provide proof of English language proficiency regardless of the country of origin.
Why choose Marine Institute - Memorial University of Newfoundland?
- Times Higher Education: 501-600th
- QS Global World:701-750
- Shanghai Ranking:601-700
- Center for World University Rankings(World):579
- Center for World University Rankings(Canada):22
- One of the best Marine institutes in Canada.
- 38th rank in Marine and Ocean Engineering Shanghai Rankings.
- Amongst top 150 in Oceanography in Academic Rankings of the World University(2018)
- Specialized technical certificate courses in Bridge Watch, Fire Rescue and Marine Diesel Mechanics.
- One of the most affordable marine institutes in Canada.
- 2013 Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Teaching Award for institute faculty John Cross.
- Transport Canada courses offered by the institute open to Canadian citizens.
- Successfully implementation of over 250 projects in more than 50 countries.
What do students say?
- Students of the Marine Institute recommend this school to everyone interested in the study of any field related to the ocean.
- As experience-based learning is a major aspect of learning in this institute, all programs are known to offer hands-on learning along with the opportunity of working with professionals of the related industry.
- Students find the Marine Institute of the Memorial University of Newfoundland to be a world-class institute.
- Students find a solid base along with confidence for work experience in the programs offered by the Marine Institute.
Marine Institute Campus and Residential Facilities
- Both on-campus and off-campus housing facilities are available at St. John’s Campus, one of the four campuses of the Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- International Students can choose from three types of accommodation.
- Temporary Housing: To be arranged by the student.
- On-Campus Housing: Submit a separate application even before acquiring a study permit.
- Off-Campus Housing: Students are required to select an area of their choice and make temporary arrangements for 3-5 days before moving in permanently.
- Three kinds of Room styles to choose from: Room, house and apartment.
- Two types of meal plans for Fall and Winter Terms: 5-day unlimited meals that include $200 Flex dollars and 7-day unlimited meals that include $100 flex dollars.
- Apply to the Student Residence Application portal after receiving the acceptance letter.
Marine Institute Programs, Faculties, and Division
- A total of 25 programs of diplomas, technical certificates, masters and Ph.D. to choose from.
- All courses are taught in English.
- Two levels of study offered: Undergraduate and Graduate.
- Over 50 short courses are provided. Courses will commence after attaining the minimum class size.
- Some Master’s and Post-Graduate Courses are taught via online mode only.
- Applications for a few programs like technical certificates, joint diplomas, etc are considered only for the Fall term.
All you need to know about the application process of Marine Institute
How, when and where to apply?
Applicants are required to following steps to complete the application process:
- Create an account at the Memorial University of Newfoundland Online Application Portal.
- Fill all the necessary details.
- Make sure to check the academic and physical requirements(if any) before applying.
- Pay the application fee.
- International Students should submit the application latest by March 1st.
- Submit the required documents. Test scores like TOEFL or IELTS should be sent directly from the test center.
- Complete and submit the separate housing application before getting accepted to the institute.
Application fee and deadlines
What are the pre-requisites?
Proof of Physical Fitness
Applicants to Diploma of Technology/Bachelor of Technology, Technical Certificates, and a few other diploma programs are required to submit proof of physical fitness.
English Proficiency Requirements
Proof of English Language Proficiency must be submitted by all applicants in any one of the following:
- Successful completion of schooling in a secondary institution where the medium of full-time instruction is English or equivalent
- TOEFL: PBT-550, CBT-213, IBT-79
- IELTS: 6.5 overall
Students can also submit other English Language test scores apart from these.
The academic benchmark set for admission differs from course to course.
What After You Get Admission
- Apply for a study permit to Canada after receiving the acceptance letter.
- Submit the necessary documents listed by the Visa authority.
For further information,students can check their country’s Visa Office Instructions.
Marine Insitute Cost of Attendance
An estimate of First Year Tuition(2018-19)
Diplomas of Technology, Technician diplomas, Bachelor of Technology
Marine Institute Scholarships and Financial Aid
Students admitted to the Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland are eligible for general Memorial University entrance scholarships as well as other awards.In order to be eligible for receiving the scholarship, the online applications must be completed and submitted to the institute latest by March 1.
Memorial University Entrance Scholarship
- 2,550 or 1,275 CAD (depending on funding)
- High School Canadian Citizen/Permanent Residents Applicants with final admission average marks of 90%
- No separate application required
Marine Institute Entrance Scholarship
- 1,000 CAD
- High School Canadian Citizen/Permanent Residents Applicants with final admission minimum marks of 80%
- No separate application required
Public Service Credit Union Award for Leadership
- 500 CAD
- Annually to an undergraduate student at the Fisheries and Marine Institute accepted to participate in a Marine Institute team related to a marine field of study displaying excellent leadership qualities
- Preference to be given to the School of Ocean Technology Students
Moving Forward Together Campaign Award
- 1,800 CAD
- To one Undergraduate Aboriginal student (preferably beyond the first year)
- Renewable for two years
- Must meet minimum academic requirements
Roy Russell Memorial Bursary
- Given to First Year student of any program
- Must be a graduate of a high school in Newfoundland and Labrador situated off the Avalon Peninsula
Work while you study at the Marine Insitute
The Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland provides Work Terms from 1-2 depending upon the area of study. Students are responsible for searching for a suitable work opportunity.
The institute does not guarantee a work placement. Students can be exempted from a work term if he/she fails to secure one until the given deadline.
- Students will be given handbooks that will vary across courses.
- Important Dates for all courses differ.
- The institute might help a student to seek work opportunities if he/she fails to do so after sufficient search for the same.
- Students are required to submit their resumes at OCIL@mi.mun.ca in pdf/word format.
- The Career Synergy Series of the institute allows networking and learning opportunities to current students, employers, and alumni.
Note: The above information may vary depending upon the courses.
Marine Institute Alumni Network
The alumni of the Marine Institute receive multiple benefits in the form of career services and individualized support. The career services for graduates include job postings, resume/CV critique, and evaluation, mock interviews and networking. The institute also sends an invitation to an annual career event- Career Synergy Series.
The alumni of the institute are also eligible to seek individualized support, inquiries, and connections that can be made through the Office of Development and Engagement.
The services that can be availed at St. John’s campus range from Groups rates and insurance services with Johnson to retail discounts. Some of the distinguished alumni include Heather Barry-Leading Seaman in Royal Canadian Navy; Captain Chris Elliot-Master, M/T Vinland in Canship Ugland Ltd and Mickey Freeman-President, DRYWORLD Industries.
[table id=618 /]