Kwantlen Polytechnic University Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
Kwantlen Polytechnic University, established in 1981 by the government of British Columbia. It is a public type university. The university is known for its courses such as Bachelor’s degree, Diplomas, Certificates and Citation in more than 120 programs.
Knowing about the rankings and standings of KPU
- Ranked among top post-secondary institutions across Canada by the Global and Mail Canadian University Report.
- Ranked among top Canadian Institutions by the National Survey of Student Engagement in Maclean’s Magazine.
Key Features to know the University better
- KPU offers co-op opportunities in many programs
- Provide international learning opportunity all over the world through Field Schools, studies abroad and international co-ops
- 21 projects are funded externally whose value exceeds $2.58 million
- 70+ researchers working on sponsored research projects
- Programs offered in English language only.
- Ankit Sharma: CEO of Kitply, Tania Dick: President of the Association of Nurses of BC and tireless advocate for Aboriginal Health Care.
Students Intake stats to look upon
- More than 20,000 students annually
- Over 12,000 FTE (full-time equivalency) students annually
- Over 200,000 students educated at KPU to date
Affiliations ensuring the quality of education
KPU is affiliated to the institutions mentioned below:
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- College and Institutes Canada (CICan)
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
- Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
- Canadian University Press (CUP)
Campus and the colleges to choose from
Kwantlen Polytechnic University has its campuses in Surrey, Richmond, Cloverdale, and Langley.
- KPU’s main campus is in Surrey. This campus is having gymnasium along with many recreational facilities.
- Richmond is the KPU’s first official campus. This campus run programs like Fashion and Design, Arts and Business courses among others.
- Langley campus is a home to university school of Horticulture. This campus offers courses in Science, Biology, Brewing, Chemistry, Physics, and Geology Labs.
- Cloverdale is the newest campus. This campus includes services like the appliance and automotive servicing, carpentry, farriery, masonry, part and warehousing, welding, plumbing, public safety communications etc.
Choose from a variety of programs offered
Kwantlen Polytechnic University offers more than 120 programs. All these programs include career, vocational trades, and technology programs. Students can choose courses from under 8 different levels.
Other than the above-mentioned programs, the university also offers unique programs namely
- Graphic Design for a marketing program
- One of the two fashion design degrees in the country
- Undergraduate Journalism program in the region
- Brewing diploma of its kind in the province
Enjoy the flexibility to choose your schedule
Students can choose their classes schedule according to their convenience. Schedule for a program can be filtered as given below:
All you need to know about the application process
Important dates for submitting the application form is as below:
- The last date to submit the application form is: March 1, 2018
- Availability of application form for Mechatronics & Advanced Manufacturing Technology Diploma is: May 10, 2018
- The last date to submit an application form for Mechatronics & Advanced Manufacturing Technology Diploma is: August 10, 2018
Application form submission last date: August 1, 2018
How to apply
- Students can apply through the online website of Kwantlen Polytechnic University i.e. www.kpu.ca
- Click on Apply now link shown at the top of the website.
- An EducationPlannerBC is opened in front of the student
- Before start filling the application form, students have to successfully register themselves with KPU.
- Enter the credentials like username, password, email address, and confirm the email address.
- Click on the create account button
- Now, the student is successfully registered with KPU
- Log in to the account using the same Username and Password entered at the time of registration
- Click on the Login button
- After clicking on the button, students can start filling their application form.
Pre-requisites for applying to KPU
The documents required to submit along with application form is as follows:
- The result of the English Proficiency test (IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE).
- Intermediate or High School certificate
- Intermediate or High School mark sheets issued by the examination authority
- Photocopies of mark sheet (if online verification available)
- Transcripts showing completed courses and grades issued by the institution attended
- Payment Documents
English Language Proficiency Tests
- Official transcripts, academic records, diplomas, national exam results, certificates or degree received.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Optional:SAT or ACT to be submitted to the FDU-Vancouver. Fairleigh Dickinson University’s SAT code is 5823, and ACT code is 2552.
- Optional: Freshmen who have completed; AP or IB exams, students with GCE A-level courses and students who have finished courses at another university may be eligible for credit transfer.
- Copy of information page in your valid passport.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- The fees can be submitted via credit card only.
Application Fees for International Applicants:
What it costs to study in KPU: Fees and Expenses
- Students can calculate their expected tuition fees by using the Tuition Estimator at kpu.ca/tuitionEstimator
- Fees can be calculated by multiplying the applicable rate by the course credit value.
- Fees will vary depending upon the type and program duration.
Estimated Tuition fee for domestic students is as below:
- Baccalaureate Degree: $187 – $214 (per credit)
- Post Baccalaureate Diploma: $225 – $556 (per credit)
- Diploma: $306 (per credit)
Estimated Tuition fee for International students is as below:
- Tuition Fees (any program): $572.20 (per credit)
- Mandatory Student Fees (any program): $35.70 (per credit)
Enjoy one of a kind experience with various Housing Plans
No on-campus housing facility is provided by KPU. Following is the list of housing options:
- First Choice International Placement Inc
- Cypress Accommodations (for independent options)
- White Rock Homestay Hotel (for female only residence)
- Global Education City (student residence)
- Harmony Homestay
Other Housing Options
Following is the list of other housing options students can opt:
- One-Bedroom Apartments
- Two, three, and four bedroom apartments
- Basement suites/ apartments
- A single room in a house
- Shared houses
Financial Aids and Assistance
Only those students can apply for the entrance scholarships and awards who admitted for the first time at KPU. KPU offers two types of scholarships which are as following:
KPU Scholarships helping the students in funding education
Major Entrance Scholarships
- The President’s Scholarship ($20,000)
- The Merit Scholarship ($5,000)
- The Indigenous Entrance Scholarship ($5,000)
Donor-funded Entrance Awards
- Awards range in value from $1,000 to $3,000
**Apply for entrance Scholarships & Awards until September 13, 2018.
Work while you study
Students holding a valid work permit and are studying full time are only eligible to work on or off campus which is explained as below
Without a work permit, students can work on their school campus. But, they must fulfill following conditions:
- Must be a full-time post-secondary student
- Have valid study permit
- Must have Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- On campus, students can work for the school, a faculty member, a student organization, self-employed, a private business, and a private contractor.
For working off-campus, students must fulfill following conditions:
- Have valid study permit
- Must be a full-time student
- Already start studying
- Studying leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and must be six months long
- Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Off-campus, students can work up to 20 hours per week.
- At the time of holidays, students can work full-time.
Work after Graduation
Students must fulfill the following conditions to work after graduation in Canada:
- Must be a full-time student in Canada
- Completed program with a minimum duration of 8 months
- Have valid study permit
- Can apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving a document declaring completion of studies
Alumni Networks and Career Prospects
KPU has a wide network of alumni. Some of them are noted below:
- Kim Baird: Chief of Tsawwassen First Nation
- Chris Mccue: Founder and President of McCue Engineering Contractors
- Geoff Woolley: President of EcoSafe Zero Waste
- Tania Dick: President of the Association of Registered Nurses of BC and tireless advocate for Aboriginal Health Care
- Kellay Boxma & Shane King:
- Ankit Sharma: CEO of Kitply
- Aurelia AU & Wayne Poon: Own and operate Snackshot, a Hong Kong inspired sweet shop
[table id=646 /]