UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG – [UWINNIPEG], WINNIPEG, MANITOBA
University of Winnipeg Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
The University of Winnipeg is a public university located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Its founding college was Manitoba College established in 1871.
Rankings & Standings
- Ranked 36th in Webometrics for the year 2018
- Ranked 32nd in Canada and world rank being 901 according to UniRank for 2018
- Ranked 13th out 19 primarily undergraduate institutions by Maclean’s and The Globe and Mail for student satisfaction in undergraduate program
University of Winnipeg consistently ranks highly in national surveys for its academic excellence, Indigenous scholarship, environmental commitment, small class sizes and campus diversity.
- Provides co-op and student exchange programs
- Special admission for mature and homeschooled students is done.
- The University has a dedicated support for the international students.
- The university affiliations are – AUCC, IAU and CUP.
- Comfortable and affordable accommodation facilities are provided to the students.
- The operating budget of the university if CAD 143 million.
- The fund for scholarships and awards are CAD 937,000.
Explore the Faculties at the University
The faculty at University of Winnipeg is divided into 6 categories tabulated below:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- Gupta faculty of Kinesiology and Applied Health
- Faculty for Graduate Studies
Find out your Program
With a diverse range of programs offered at the campus, the university offers a wide range of options for the students to choose from. The programs are designed to meet the needs of maintaining a balance between the ability of the students to take the challenges and make informed decisions whenever needed in the ongoing business world.
The university offers a wide range of undergraduate programs ranging from Anthropology to Biology, Computer science, Engineering, English, Environmental Studies, Sciences and History. There are more than 54 undergraduate courses available at the university for the students to choose from.
Offering a 100 diverse range of graduate programs, the University of Winnipeg offers courses in Applied Computer Science and Society, Bioscience, Technology and Public Policy, Criminal Justice, Cultural Studies, Indigenous Governance, master’s in management, etc.
The university also offers Joint Programs with the University of Manitoba and the higher education training certificate programs.
Professional, Applied and Continuing Education (PACE)
PACE offers full-time and part-time diploma and non-degree programs which takes care of the student’s personal and professional goals. One can pursue diploma programs to enhance their career and gain practical experience.
Applied and Joint Programs
To make the studies more practical by blending with work experience, these programs have been launched with Red River College.
Given below is the list of these programs
- Aboriginal Governance/ Self-Government Administration
- Applied Biology
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Environmental Science
- Applied Child Development & Child Care/ Early Childhood Education
- Disability Studies
- Joint Business Administration
- Joint Communications
Students can apply for the individual programs through the links directing to the application form on the official website of Winnipeg.
- Indigenous Studies and Governence
All which you want to know about Admissions
The candidates applying for admission to the University of Toronto need to check the requirement for the course which they want to apply for at the official website i.e. www.uwinnipeg.ca.
Requirements are different for different programs. Student must visit the official website to know about the suitable programs.
The application process for most of the courses varies from one another. However, there are few common steps to be taken by all the candidates.
- Go through the list of available courses and choose which one to apply for
- Check if one meets the eligibility criteria. If yes, then apply through the link admissions.uwinnipeg.ca
- Pay the non-refundable application fee (mentioned above)
- After the submission of application form successfully, if the application will be considered, one may be contacted for further process.
- Application fee
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)
- Official Academic Records (i.e. proof of high school graduation, final transcripts (official), and post-secondary (university/college) transcripts)
- Proof of Citizenship (if applicable)
- Manitoba Education Number
- Change of Name Verification
- Course Descriptions and Syllabi
Note: All the documents must be original. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Tuition Fees Expenses
Note: (*) Exceptions Apply
Experience living at the Campus
Provides housing options in McFeetors Hall Residence, Balmoral Houses Residence, and Family Housing. The fee for all three of them is tabulated below:
McFeetors Hall Residence Fee 2017-2018
Types of Dorms:
- Single Dorm
- Double Dorm
- Wheelchair Accessible Single Dorms
Fall and Winter 2017-18 Fees
Balmoral Houses Residence Fees 2017-2018
Type of Dorm – Single Room
Housing Residence Fees 2017-2018
There is a CAD50 application fee to create a new application. Once a room offer is sent, a CAD450 deposit is required to complete the application.
Enjoy the Advantages of Financial Aid
The University of Winnipeg offers a variety of financial support to assist the students with funding their education. The university makes sure that no student is denied education based on financial constraints.
Various scholarships offered by the university to provide financial aid to the students are:
Application required for entrance scholarships
These are for all the students who are new to the University of Winnipeg and have not completed a degree at the university before. The value of this scholarship ranges from CAD 100 to CAD 40,000.
Opportunity fund fast-track bursaries
This one is for the new and the returning students who have attained a minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or an admission average of at least of 65%, demonstrating financial need and belongs to the population currently under-represented at the University of Winnipeg such as refugees, immigrants, student from low income families etc. The value of this scholarship varies depending upon the financial level of the students.
Special Entrance Scholarships
These scholarships are automatically offered to grade 12 graduating students who come directly from a high school in Canada and to the international students from the United States. These scholarships are offered to the students without the necessity of any scholarship application.
The students must fulfill the following criteria to avail this scholarship:
- Must have at least an 85% final grade 12 award average
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours for the winter/fall, and
- Have not received a UW Entrance award valued at more than CAD5,000.
The value of this scholarship varies depending upon the percentage scored by the students. The variation is as follows:
- 85-89.9% – CAD1,100
- 90-94.9% – CAD1,750
- 95% and above – CAD2,250
Work while you Study
The students at the University of Winnipeg are offered great job opportunities as a part of work study program. The students are offered full-time, part-time, and summer work opportunities- both on and off campus.
These jobs are available to the students during fall/winter i.e. between September to March. Various administrative departments and faculties participate in this program resulting in a broad range of jobs to choose from.
Positions like Research Assistant, Office Assistant and Assistant technician are available at the university.
Eligibility to Apply
Students need to pass all the criteria to apply for the job
- Must be registered for undergraduate or graduate programs at the university.
- Must be registered in full-time study.
- Must have completed 30 credit hours at the undergraduate level at the university.
- Must have scored at least 2.0 average point.
- Must provide information on financial need.
- Must be Canadian resident or international student with valid study permit.
How to Apply?
The university holds a record of having some notable alumni:
- Guy Maddin – Canadian Screenwriter. A full production house, right from writing till direction.
- Ida Albo – A Canadian Businesswoman and a co-president of Centre Venture Development Corporation
- Tom Axworthy, – A Canadian civil servant, political strategist, writer and professor
- Omar Zakhilwal – Finance Minister and Chief Economic Advisor to the President Hamid Karzai
[table id=651 /]
Be the first to review “UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG – [UWINNIPEG], WINNIPEG, MANITOBA” Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a review.
There are no reviews yet.