University of Prince Edward Island Ranking, Programs, Admission Process & Living Cost
The University of Prince Edward Island, also referred to as UPEI, is a public university located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. It is the only university in the province.
Known for research innovation, the university is home to 2 research institutes and 6 research centers. Here are the popular courses/programs at the University of Prince Edward Island.
- Sustainable Design Engineering
- Applied Communication, Leadership and Culture
- Math and Computational Sciences
Why Choose the University of Prince Edward Island?
Rankings and Standings
- Webometrics ranked University of Prince Edward Island 44th in Canada
- Maclean’s magazines ranked UPEI 8th among all the Canadian Universities offering Primarily undergraduate education
- 72 exchange agreements with universities in 29 countries
- International students hailing from nearly 70 countries.
- Graduation rate: 66.2%; retention rate: 81.6%
- Holds 1 Canada Excellence Research Chair in Aquatic Epidemiology, 4 Canada Research Chairs, and 3 Endowed Chairs.
- Holds a UNESCO Chair in Island Studies and Sustainability.
- The university has.
- It has the second lowest undergraduate tuition fee in the Atlantic region.
- Awards scholarship and bursaries worth CAD 5.6 million.
- UPEI is a non-denominational university.
- UPEI is a member of Association of Atlantic Universities.
- Students to faculty ratio is 16.6.
What Students Say
- UPEI combines teaching excellence with research innovations
- Provides exceptional opportunities to work alongside with professors
- Easy access to many athletic amenities on the university campus
Campus and Residential Facilities
UPEI campus is located in Charlottetown. The campus landmark is the War Memorial Hall which honors and enlists the alumni who died in the first and second world war.
The UPEI campus has three different residential buildings with a capacity to hold up to 440 residents. The residences are as follows:
- Bernardine Hall: houses 147 students in single and double rooms
- Bill and Denise Andrew Hall: a co-ed building with 1-bedroom suites, 2-bedroom suite and 3-bedroom suite
- Blanchard Hall: has 63 two-bedroom apartments.
University of Prince Edward Island offers a wide range of program at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level. The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers 15 masters’ and doctoral programs in 6 different fields. The faculties offer different courses.
- Faculty of Arts – 38 UG programs; 2 Graduate programs
- Faculty of Business – 17 UG programs; 2 Graduate programs
- Faculty of Education – 4 programs; 2 Graduate programs
- Faculty of Nursing – 3 programs; 1 Graduate program
- Faculty of Science – 25 UG programs; 4 Graduate programs
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine – 1 UG program; 4 Graduate programs
- Faculty of Graduate Studies – 15 programs
- Professional Education and Career Development – 10 programs
Students must go through the website to check course availability as well as program requirements before for the university. They also need to fulfil country-wise requirements.
- Original transcripts
- English Language Proficiency Test score
English Language Requirement
The minimum English Language Proficiency Test Scores required by graduate and undergraduate students are as follows:
How to Apply?
- Create an account on UPEI by entering Personal and Qualification details
- Log in to the account using Email and Password entered at the time of creating the account.
- Submit the required documents along with the application form
- Documents can be uploaded with the application form or send via mail or through fax or in person
Students are required to pay the non-refundable application fees after filling the application form:
- Application fees pay by Canadian students: CAD 50
- Application fees pay by International students: CAD 75
Costs and Expenses
- 5-day meal plan: CAD 2,223
- 7-day meal plan: CAD 2,310
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The University of Prince Edward Island is dedicated to helping its students financially. It has invested more than CAD 5.5 million in providing financial aids.
- Other than that, PEI and Canada students can get a loan of amount CAD 3,500 per academic year.
- US Government provides a loan to a US student attending the University of Prince Edward Island.
Work While You Study
UPEI provides a number of employment options for students. Students can work on-campus and off-campus while studying at the university. They can earn up to CAD 13 per hour while working. They can apply for the following posts:
- Instructional Assistants
- Winery Guide/Retail Representative
- Student Fitness Centre Supervisors
- Student Research Assistant
University of Prince Edward Island has a very strong alumni network of 23,540 graduates all over the world. It offers a number of benefits and services to its alumni like:
- Career Service and Support
- Bookstore Discount
- Receive complimentary UPEI Magazine
- Robertson Library Access
- Joel Randal Ward: Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Herb Dickinson: Former educator, Physician, and politician in Prince Edward Island
- Alan Gilmore Buchanan: Former politician and administrator of Canadian University
- Wayne Cheverie: Former attorney, politician, government minister. Currently a justice of the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island
[table id=654 /]