Showing 1–12 of 15 results
Andhra Christian College was founded with the ideal of providing for the youth of the country in general and of Guntur and other districts of Andhra Pradesh in particular the high type of Christian education. It holds to the Truism that secular training is insufficient and so to it seeks implant in its students, those truths which can raise men to a purer and nobler life and which are efficacious in the building up of character. Its sponsors trust that the men and women trained here will be filled with that spirit of service and inspired by those ideals of life which will lend them to dedicate their lives and talents to the best interest of their fellows and their country.
Andhra Christian College is a co-educational institution. Since 1926 the educational opportunities at Andhra Christian College have been opened to young women on equal terms with young men. The college endeavors to give its women students real college life and encourage their participation in all of its activities as the best means of preparing them for meeting the challenges of life which await them.
Andhra Christian college desires to cultivate in all its students men and women a knowledge and appreciation of the social amenities which make for harmonious human relationships and to create a proper regard for sound social values.
Andhra Christian College seeks to assist its students to develop the power of clear thinking based upon sound and broad knowledge, to develop an attitude of open mindedness to emphasize the practice of testing all information and conclusions and to develop creative scholarship.
Andhra Christian College desires to train and assist its students to uphold the great ideals of the human race, and to respect the dignity of man and the sacredness of human personality.
Andhra Christian College believes that the years of intellectual discipline should create in its students a sense of civic responsibility and encourage them to accept that responsibility as the natural compliment of the privileges they have enjoyed.
HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
Andhra Christian College had its beginnings in the first Anglo – Vernacular school, which was already established in district collector’s compound and handed over in 1842 to Fr. Heyer who came to Guntur and established the American Evangelical Lutheran Mission in the same year. This school was supported by subscriptions from English friends of Missionary education then living in Guntur. Owing to financial and other difficulties due to civil war in America, the school was closed in 1863. And it was reopened in the year 1873, when it was re – organized by Dr. L.L. Uhl. From this time the school increased in number, service and influence. In September 1885, with Dr. L.B. Wolf as the Principal, the school was affiliated to the Madras University as a Second Grade College, known as the American Evangelical Lutheran Mission (A.E.L.M.) College. Through the efforts of Dr. Uhl and by the generous gifts of Mr. Arthur Watt and other friends in the United States, funds were secured with which the Watt’s Memorial Building was built. This building was first occupied in 1893.In 1907 Dr. Wolf retired from service in India and Dr. Uhl again assumed charge continuing as Principal until 1913 when he was succeeded by Dr. J. Roy Strock. In 1915 Dr. Uhl was appointed as Principal emeritus and in 1916 on Dr. Strock’s going on furlough, Rev. G.A. Ripely became the Principal and continued until Dr. Strock’s return to the College in 1919.In April 1922, Dr. Strock, at the invitation of the Church Missionary Society, assumed the Principalship of Noble College. Masulipatnam, and Dr. Victor Me. Cauley acted as Principal for the College until January 1923, when Dr. H.H. Sipes took charge Dr. Sipes served until January 1927 when Dr. Strock returned to the College.In 1925 in response to the invitation of Andhra Christian Council representing all the Christian Missions working in the Telugu area the U.L.C. Mission undertook the development of United Christian College for Andhra Pradesh. The Mission authorities under the leadership of Rev. J.Roy Strock, D.D. inaugurated a campaign in America for the raising of three hundred thousand dollars for the development of the College. The campaign was successful and practically the full amount required was secured. In March 1926 the College was affiliated to the Madras University as First Grade College offering courses in Mathematics, Philosophy and History for the B.A. Degree.
The Andhra University Act came into force in April 1926 and the first B.A. Class was admitted to the College in the following July. This development inaugurated a new era in the life of the institution which in the years following rapidly won outstanding place among the colleges of the university.
In January 1928 by an action of the Mission Council the name of the institution was changed from the A.E.L.M. College to Andhra Christian College.
Upon Dr. Strock’s going on furlough in January 1937, Dr. Sipes was appointed as the Principal. B.Sc. Courses in Mathematics and Physics were introduced in 1934 and negotiations were opened with Madras Government for the Old District Munsiffs Court site of 7 acres to provide additional land for College purpose.
In 1937 the District Muniffs Court site was purchased. In December 1938 upon the resignation of Dr. Strock, Mr. V Ch. John, M.A. LT. was appointed as Principal of the College. He assumed charge on January, 1,1939 and continued to serve until his retirement in June 1941 when he was succeeded by Dr. Sipes.
During the years 1938-41 the college carried out an extensive building programme under the supervision of the Rev. John Flnefrock, D.D. of the Mission Building Department. Heyer and Wolf Halls were erected at a cost of Rs. 40,000 to provide modern hostel accommodations for 300 students with the Luther League ndministration. Building providing additional class-rooms, offices nnd general room, a new Assembly Hall to seat 1,200 people were built and occupied from July, 1948. In January 1944, Dr. Sipes proceeded on furlough and Rev. C.H. Swavely served as Principal iinlil the return of Dr. Sipes in November 1945. Dr Sipes continued Principal till September 1948.
Rev. C.H. Swavely was acting Principal from September 1948 to April 1950.
Dr. T.S. Paulus was appointed as Principal and assumed charge from May 1, 1950 and sewed till his retirement in July 1962. Rev. C.H. Swavely became Bursar from May 1950 and left on furlough in November, 1955. Miss. Lilith Schawab assumed charge as Bursar of the College from November 1952 to June 1954. Rev. C.H. Swavely assumed charge as Bursar of the College on his return from furlough in July, 1954, until his retirement in April 1960.
During these years the college progressed in physical size and accommodation under the initiative of Dr. T.S. Paulus Principal and Mr. C.N. Devadanam, Bursar. The Strock Hall, the Recreation Hall, N.C.C. Building and the new Chemistry Laboratory, have been added to the College plant in recent years. This additional accommodation has ushered in a new progressive era in the life of the College.
The university was established in 1957 as an aided college by Padma Bhushan Dr. T.S. Avinashilingam under the jurisdiction of Avinashilingam Education Trust. The campus of Avinashilingam University is spread over an area of 111 acres of land. The university is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women is also recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The mission and vision of the university is to provide global standard quality education for the empowerment and self-development of women.
The popular courses offered by the university are B.Sc., B.A., B.Com, B.C.A., B.Ed., M.Sc., M.A., M.C.A., M.Com, M.B.A and M.Ed. Candidates have to go through the screening process of the university to get admission in the courses. Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women has a total of 324 faculty members. The total number of students enrolled in the university is 8108. Thus, the student-teacher ratio at Avinashilingam University is 25:1. The university also has many clubs, committees and societies. Avinashilingam University has many collaborations too.
There are many facilities available at the university. Some of them are girls hostel, medical clinic, library, auditorium, sports, gym, IT infrastructure, wi-fi, cafeteria, laboratories, bank, facilities for differently-abled, etc. Avinashilingam University has a placement cum career guidance cell, which helps in the placement of the students. The placement cell also conducts activities like workshops, seminars, mock interviews, group discussions, aptitude tests to train students for placement. The university also provides scholarships to students. Students can also avail central government scholarships at Avinashilingam University. The university has secured 75th rank in the University category in NIRF 2021 Ranking with an overall score of 41.24 out of 100.
Avinashilingam University Location
The university is located at Bharathi Park Road, near Forest College Campus, Saibaba Colony, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. There are various modes of transport to reach Avinashilingam University. One can travel by air, road or rail to reach the university. The nearest airport to the university is Coimbatore International Airport. The distance between the airport and the university is 12.2 km and would take approximately 30 minutes by cab or auto. Coimbatore Junction Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women. It is 4.1 km away and would take 10 minutes from a cab or auto. The nearest bus stop is Alagesan Road Bus Stop and is 450 m far from the university. It would take 1 minute from the bus stop to reach the university.
Madras Christian College autonomous was set up in Chennai in 1837. In the year 2013, the Madras Christian College was re-accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an ‘A’ Grade. The college is accredited with an A grade with NIRF rank standing at 18th under the college category in the year 2021. It is a Co-Ed institution. The campus has 33 departments, 105 classrooms, 16 seminar halls and 73 laboratories. There are 6 residential hostels at Madras Christian College. Among six, three are there for boys and three are there for girls. There is a central library, a modern cafeteria and an exclusive innovation park. The self-financing option to pursue education was started from the year 1999.
Madras Christian College established the ‘MCC Boyd Business School’ in 2016. In the same year, the college was awarded UGC - College with Potential for Excellence.
Madras Christian College Location
Madras Christian College (Autonomous) is located at Tambaram East, Tambaram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Tambaram Railway Station is the nearest railway station located at a distance of 3 km and one can reach the college within 11 minutes from there. Chennai International Airport is 11.7 km away from the MCC. The nearest bus depot is the MTC Bus Terminal located 2 km away from the college.